The clocks have gone back, the embers from bonfire night are out, the nights are drawing in and there’s a winter chill in the air. It all means one thing – Santa Claus is on his way. But what do you buy the map lover in your life this Christmas? We’ve got ten great ideas for you.
1. Is there a location dear to your heart? Then this bespoke map heart artwork could be the perfect gift.
2. Help someone wear their favourite location with a map tie.
3. For the man who has everything – we couldn’t resist these personalised grid reference cuff links!
4. Remind someone of their favourite location whenever they have a cuppa – the perfect stocking filler with a personalised historic map mug.
5. Gifts for the home are often popular – we spotted this map lampshade in Bradford on Avon recently.
6. A home can never have enough cushions – and these can display your favourite places on the map too.
7. Get creative – write out a gift voucher for a beauty treat and give a map manicure. We spotted this great nail art on Pinterest.
8. Get even more creative and put your sewing skills to good use. Be inspired by this quilt that uses Ordnance Survey maps as part of the design. Neil MacGillivray exhibited this at the Loch Lomond quilt festival, to chart his progress in ‘bagging’ the Scottish Munros. Image courtesy of Gillian Cooper of Popular Patchwork (Dec 2012 edition).
9. Buy a bundle of old, out of date maps and decorate a room as a surprise. We’ve been tweeted map-covered bathrooms, studies and living rooms.
10. And last but not least – don’t forget our custom made map range now lets you add your own image too. Centre the map on the best area for your map lover, add your own title and off you go! Ordnance Survey custom-made maps are available at www.shop.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk and cost £16.99.