Ordnance Survey maps remain an important part of the National Curriculum for geography across the key stages. As many of us, and particularly our children, are now used to accessing maps online, it’s important to reflect this in classrooms across Great Britain.
Our maps are available online for all primary and secondary educationalists to access through Digimap for Schools, an online mapping and data delivery service developed by EDINA, the national data centre for UK academia. We’re keen to help teachers make the most of the service and regularly run free CPD training sessions around the country that you can sign up for via the blog.
The sessions usually take place after school, around 4.00 pm to 6.00 pm, and are hosted by volunteer schools. They cover a range of topics relevant to key stages 1-4 including:
- Showcasing the Digimap for Schools service – guiding teachers through the service and leaving time for trying it out themselves.
- Covering the fundamentals of geographic information (GI) and geographical information systems (GIS) – explaining datasets and showcasing OS OpenData online as well as using ArcGIS to create a crime map of their area.
- Introducing the free teaching resources on the Ordnance Survey website.
People come along with a range of experience and abilities – some have never used Digimap for Schools, others want to build on their existing skills. Once people have come along we tend to see an increase in their use of Digimap for Schools (as well as new schools signing up to the service) as they get to put their training into practice in the classroom.
If you’re a geography teacher and would like to come to one of our free sessions, keep this page as a favourite and we’ll update it with all the latest sessions. You can also follow @OrdnanceSurvey on Twitter to see the latest news.
Next training sessions include:
- Nottingham Trent University – 5 February – 4-6 pm
- Weymouth – 7 February – 9.40-11.40 am
- Harlow – 12 February – 4-5.30 pm
- Royston – 13 February – 4-5.30 pm
- Streatham – 25 February – 3.30-5 pm
- Nottingham – 26 February – 4-5.30pm
If you’d like more information, you can ask us here on the blog or email Darren.Bailey@ordnancesurvey.co.uk to sign up for one of the sessions.
If you’re already using Digimap for Schools, try our new Christmas mappy resource for a fun quiz.