Below is some information on the available GI software packages for schools. The brief comments about each item need to be followed up by looking at the complete descriptions of each product on the associated web sites.
Some of these packages come with pre-loaded data, others accept Ordnance Survey data.
Pleae note that we are not responsible for the content of third-party websites.
This GIS from the The Advisory Unit, Computers in Education, is ideal for projects:
- urban land use (Goad plans, vector OS MasterMap);
- traffic and pedestrian flows;
- choropleth census and development mapping;and
- locational charts.
OS raster and vector map subscription.
Soft Teach - Local studies 5
An introduction to GIS for Key Stage 2, Local Studies now has a Map Grabber, which means that you can use Ordnance Survey maps as backgrounds for projects on your town, back garden or school grounds! There is also a simpler Infant version especially configured for younger users.
uLearn, from WebBased Ltd,provides the richest mapping available without charge, offering free OS OpenData. A licence offers extra tools to build your own Resource Sets from the library of 300,000 learning resources.
Wildgoose Vista Aerial Viewer
Vista is a Geographic Information System from Wildgoose which allows you to create attractive and information-rich maps using digital aerial photography and/or maps of your school or chosen study area.
Esri UK GIS for schools programme
ESRI UK's GIS programme for secondary geography enables students explore, analyse and map their world. It includes:
- Software and data (including OS MasterMap and 1:25,000 scale, aerial photography, census data and world maps);
- Lesson plans and training resources; and
- Full teacher support, including CPD developed with the Geographical Association.