Request for information – FOI13383
Thank you for your e-mail of 24 June 2013, requesting information from Ordnance Survey in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) 2000.
Ordnance Survey does hold the information to respond to your information request, and we respond to each of your points as follows:
1. If your IT is not totally outsourced then how many individual Staff (headcount) are employed within your IT department?
188.4 as of May 2013, the latest information we hold.
2. To which company or companies are the following areas of IT outsourced: Infrastructure? Desktops/Laptops/Thin Clients? Systems Development/Applications Management?
None of these areas are outsourced.
(Can you please answer the questions 3 to 9, even if your IT is outsourced)
3. How many desktops are in use?
How many laptops are in use?
800 laptops and 310 Toughbooks – which are robust tablets used in our field survey processes. There are also about 200 'desktop' virtual machines or VMs.
4. How many Thin Clients are in use?
5. Which Server Platform(s) and Operating System(s) do you use?
HP DL3xx & DL5xx Servers (x86)
- Sun SPARC
- HP Alpha
- IBM Netezza
- Oracle Exadata
- MS Windows Server 2003 & 2003R2
- MS Windows Server 2008 & 2008R2
- MS Windows Server 2012
- RedHat Linux 5.x
- Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.x, 6.x
- Solaris 8, 9, 10
- Oracle Databases 8i, 9i, 10gR2, 11gR1, 11gR2
6. How many Physical Servers are in use?
7. How many Virtual Servers are in use?
845 (+ 257 in Amazon & Azure)
8. What is the name and job title of the most senior person in IT?
Bob Goodrich, Director of Information Systems
As all the requested information has been provided, we have determined that in all the circumstances of this case the Public interest consideration (section 17 FOIA) is not applicable in this instance.
Your enquiry has been processed according to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) 2000. If you are unhappy with our response, you may request an internal review with our FOI Internal Review Officer, by contacting them as follows:
FOI Internal Review Officer
Customer Service Centre
Please include the reference number above. You may request an internal review where you believe Ordnance Survey has:
- Failed to respond to your request within the time limits (normally 20 working days)
- Failed to tell you whether or not we hold the information
- Failed to provide the information you have requested
- Failed to explain the reasons for refusing a request
- Failed to correctly apply an exemption or exception
The FOI Internal Review Officer will not have been involved in the original decision. They will conduct an independent internal review and will inform you of the outcome of the review normally within 20 working days, but exceptionally within 40 working days, in line with the Information Commissioner’s guidance.
The FOI Internal Review Officer will either: uphold the original decision, provide an additional explanation of the exemption/s applied or release further information, if it is considered appropriate to do so.
Appeal to Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)
If, following the outcome of the internal review you remain unhappy with our response, you may raise an appeal with the Information Commissioner’s Office at:
The Case Reception Unit
Customer Service Team
The Information Commissioner’s Office
Telephone helpline: 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545745 for advice, Monday to Friday.
Thank you for your enquiry.