Request for information – FOI13402
Thank you for your e-mail of 8 August 2013 requesting the following information from Ordnance Survey in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) 2000:
Nominet is currently consulting about the introduction of direct.uk, which would make it possible to register domain names like OrdnanceSurvey.uk alongside existing names like www.OrdnanceSurvey.co.uk and OS.uk alongside www.OS.co.uk.
Please could you provide me with the following information:
1. All correspondence between Ordnance Survey and Nominet UK (www.nominet.org.uk) in relation to their direct.uk consultation:
2. A copy of your response to the first Nominet direct.uk consultation.
3. A copy of your response to the second Nominet direct.uk consultation.
(If you have not yet submitted a response we suggest that you do so. Nominet is not publishing responses to the consultation until after the consultation has ended. However, submissions by public bodies made to the .NZ registry for their consultation are published at the bottom of this page http://dnc.org.nz/second_level_proposal_c2 and may serve to highlight some of the issues with introducing direct.uk).
4. Any cost analysis or internal correspondence relating to the cost of re-branding from OrdnanceSurvey.co.uk to OrdnanceSurvey.uk, plus the cost of rebranding any of your other 60+ domain names.
Ordnance Survey is unable to help you with your enquiry as we do not hold this information. The reason we do not hold this information is because there has been no correspondence between Ordnance Survey and Nominet UK in relation to their direct.uk consultation.
Your enquiry has been processed according to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) 2000. If you are unhappy with our response, you may request an internal review with our FOI Internal Review Officer, by contacting them as follows:
FOI Internal Review Officer
Customer Service Centre
Please include the reference number above. You may request an internal review where you believe Ordnance Survey has:
- Failed to respond to your request within the time limits (normally 20 working days)
- Failed to tell you whether or not we hold the information
- Failed to provide the information you have requested
- Failed to explain the reasons for refusing a request
- Failed to correctly apply an exemption or exception
The FOI Internal Review Officer will not have been involved in the original decision. They will conduct an independent internal review and will inform you of the outcome of the review normally within 20 working days, but exceptionally within 40 working days, in line with the Information Commissioner’s guidance.
The FOI Internal Review Officer will either: uphold the original decision, provide an additional explanation of the exemption/s applied or release further information, if it is considered appropriate to do so.
Appeal to Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)
If, following the outcome of the internal review you remain unhappy with our response, you may raise an appeal with the Information Commissioner’s Office at:
The Case Reception Unit
Customer Service Team
The Information Commissioner’s Office
Telephone helpline: 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545745 for advice, Monday to Friday.
In the meantime, should you need to contact Ordnance Survey regarding your request at any time, please quote the allocated reference number: FOI13402 in any correspondence.