FOI16649– Request for information
Thank you for your email of 1 March 16, requesting the following information from Ordnance Survey in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000:
I would like to make an open government request for information to which I am entitled under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
I am looking to obtain:
- Organisational chart inc. contact names (operational level).
- Contractor/agency staff headcount: current.
- Contractor/agency staff headcount: F/Y 2015-date.
- Contractor/agency staff recruitment spend: F/Y 2015-2016.
- Contractor/agency staff recruitment budget:F/Y 2016-2017.
- Contractor/agency staff price caps; rates to be applied at Ordnance Survey – maximum rate per hour/per day (excluding VAT).
- HR Department – Senior contact names and contact numbers and/or email.
I would like the above information to be provided to me in electronic format.
If this request is too wide or unclear, I would be grateful if you could contact me as I understand that under the Act, you are required to advise and assist requesters. If any of this information is already in the public domain, please can you direct me to it, with page references and URLs if necessary.
If the release of any of this information is prohibited on the grounds of breach of confidence, I ask that you supply me with copies of the confidentiality agreement and remind you that information should not be treated as confidential if such an agreement has not been signed.
I understand that you are required to respond to my request within the 20 working days after you receive this letter. I would be grateful if you could confirm in writing that you have received this request.
I can confirm that Ordnance Survey does hold some of the information you have requested. Where the information is not held or is exempt from disclosure this is detailed.
- Contractor/agency staff headcount: current = 139.
- Contractor/agency staff headcount: F/Y 2015 – date = 139.
- Contractor/agency staff recruitment spend: F/Y 2015-2016 = £9,720,795.69.
- Contractor/agency staff recruitment budget: F/Y 2016-2017 = This is not currently held. However, under Section 16 of the FOIA 'the duty to provide advice and assistance' we can advise that a proposed figure is held, pending approval from the Ordnance Survey Board of Directors in May 2016.
- Contractor/agency staff price caps; rates to be applied at Ordnance Survey – maximum rate per hour/per day (excluding VAT) = day rates for contractors/agency staff range from £65.68 to £850. Ordnance Survey do not use hourly rates, therefor this information is not held.
The organisational chart including contact names and in respect of the HR Department, the senior contact names and contact numbers and/or email is held by Ordnance Survey but is exempt from disclosure under Section 40(2) of the FOIA 'personal information'.
We consider this exemption applies because the release of: employees names, personal contact telephone numbers and their own work email address constitutes personal data, and is exempt because the release of this information would breach one of the data protection principles, as detailed in Section 40(3) (a) (i) of the FOIA.
In applying this exemption, we have considered whether disclosure of the personal data in question would be 'fair' (as described in Part II of Schedule 1 to the Data Protection Act). We have also given particular consideration to the likely expectations of the data subject regarding the disclosure of their personal information in this manner.
When Section 40(2) of the FOIA is engaged, and where the release of the requested information would breach one of the Data Protection principles, this constitutes an absolute exemption, and no public interest test is required.
I hope this helps with your enquiry.
Your enquiry has been processed according to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) 2000. If you are unhappy with our response, you may request an internal review with our FOI Internal Review Officer, by contacting them as follows:
FOI Internal Review Officer
Customer Service Centre
Please include the reference number above. You may request an internal review where you believe Ordnance Survey has:
- Failed to respond to your request within the time limits (normally 20 working days)
- Failed to tell you whether or not we hold the information
- Failed to provide the information you have requested
- Failed to explain the reasons for refusing a request
- Failed to correctly apply an exemption or exception
The FOI Internal Review Officer will not have been involved in the original decision. They will conduct an independent internal review and will inform you of the outcome of the review normally within 20 working days, but exceptionally within 40 working days, in line with the Information Commissioner’s guidance.
The FOI Internal Review Officer will either: uphold the original decision, provide an additional explanation of the exemption/s applied or release further information, if it is considered appropriate to do so.
Appeal to Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)
If, following the outcome of the internal review you remain unhappy with our response, you may raise an appeal with the Information Commissioner’s Office at:
The Case Reception Unit
Customer Service Team
The Information Commissioner’s Office
Telephone helpline: 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545745 for advice, Monday to Friday.
Thank you for your enquiry.