FOI16693 – Request for information
Thank you for your email of 14 July 2016, requesting the following information from Ordnance Survey in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000:
I would like to submit a Freedom of Information Request relating to specific ICT contract(s) for Server Hardware Maintenance, Server Virtualisation Licenses and Maintenance and Storage Area Network (SAN) maintenance/support which may include:
- Server Hardware Maintenance - contracts relating to the support and maintenance of the organisation’s physical servers.
- Virtualisation Licensing (VMware, Solaris, Unix, Linux, Windows Server).
- Virtualisation Maintenance/Support (VMware, Solaris, Unix, Linux, Windows Server).
- Storage Area Network maintenance/support (EMC, NetApp etc.).
For each of the types of server ICT contracts above can you please send me the following data types:
- Contract title: Please provide me with the contract title.
- Contract type: Please can you provide me with one or more contract types the contract relates to: Server Hardware, Virtualisation, SAN (Storage Area Network).
- Existing/current supplier: Please provide me with the supplier name for each contract.
- Hardware brand: Please state the hardware brand of the servers related to the contract with supplier e.g. Hardware Maintenance could be Dell, IBM et.
- Operating System/Software (Platform): (Windows, Linux, Unix, Vsphere, AIX, Solaris etc.) Please state the operating system used by the organisation.
- Annual average spend: Please provide me with the annual average spend for this contract?
- Contract duration: (Please can you also include notes if the contract includes any contract extension periods).
- Contract expiry date: Please can you provide me with the date of when the contract expires.
- Contract review date: (An approximate date of when the organisation is planning to review this particular contract).
- Purchase of servers: Could you please provide me with the month and year in which most/bulk of servers where purchased.
- Number of physical servers: Please can you provide me with the number of physical servers.
- Number of virtual servers: Please can you provide me with the number of Virtual servers’ servers.
- Brief contract description: I require a brief description of the service provided under this contract. Please don’t just put maintenance, I need at least a sentence.
- Internal contact: (The person from within the organisation that is responsible for reviewing and renewing this particular contract. Please include their full name, job title, direct contact number and direct email address).
If there is more than one supplier for these contracts can you please split the contract individually for each supplier. So the information above which I am requesting is for each supplier.
If this service is part of a managed contract please can you send me the contract information for this managed service including Hardware Brand, Number of users, Operating System, and contact details of the internal contact responsible for this contract.
We are pleased to provide you with the following information in response to your questions. Please be aware that not all the relevant information Ordnance Survey holds has been provided with this response, as parts of it falls under an exemption of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), with the relevant sections and reasons detailed below:
Contract title: Call Off Contract for the Provision of IT Managed Services.
Contract type: Hardware Maintenance and Storage Area Network maintenance.
Current supplier: Computacenter.
Hardware brands: HP, Dell, Sun Oracle, IBM (storage), F5, Checkpoint, CISCO, EMC (storage).
Operating Systems: As determined by hardware vendors.
Annual average spend: £610,000.
Contract duration: 3 years.
Contract expiry date: Q3 2018.
Contract review date: Q2 2018.
Brief contract description: Break Fix contract with various Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
Internal contact: I can confirm that we do hold this information however it is exempt from disclosure under Section 40 (2) of the FOIA ‘personal information’.
Contract title: VMWare.
Contract type: Virtualisation Licensing maintenance/support.
Current supplier: Software Box.
Hardware brands: I can confirm that Ordnance Survey does not hold this information.
Operating Systems: I can confirm that Ordnance Survey does not hold this information.
Annual average spend: £70,000.
Contract duration: 3 years.
Contract expiry date: Q3 2016.
Contract review date: Q2 2016.
Brief contract description: VMWare licence and support provision.
Internal contact: I can confirm that we do hold this information however is exempt from disclosure under Section 40 (2) of the FOIA ‘personal information’.
Purchase of servers: Spread fairly evenly over approximately the last five years.
Number of physical servers: 435.
Number of virtual servers: 1856.
Please note that the number of servers was correct as at the date we received your request and is subject to change.
Information relating to the internal contacts of the above contracts is held by Ordnance Survey but is exempt from disclosure under Section 40 (2) of the FOIA ‘personal information’.
We consider this exemption applies because the release of: employees names, personal contact telephone numbers and their own work email addresses constitutes personal data, and is exempt because the release of this information would breach one of the data protection principles, as detailed in Section 40 (3) (a) (i) of the FOIA.
In applying this exemption, we have considered whether disclosure of the personal data in question would be 'fair' (as described in Part II of Schedule 1 to the Data Protection Act). We have also given particular consideration to the likely expectations of the data subject regarding the disclosure of their personal information in this manner.
Under Section 16 of the FOIA ‘the duty to provide advice and assistance’ we can advise of our general Customer Service telephone number: 03456 05 05 05 and our Customer Service email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
When Section 40 (2) of the FOIA is engaged, and where the release of the requested information would breach one of the Data Protection principles, this constitutes an absolute exemption, and no public interest test is required.
Your enquiry has been processed according to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) 2000. If you are unhappy with our response, you may request an internal review with our FOI Internal Review Officer, by contacting them as follows:
FOI Internal Review Officer
Customer Service Centre
Please include the reference number above. You may request an internal review where you believe Ordnance Survey has:
- Failed to respond to your request within the time limits (normally 20 working days)
- Failed to tell you whether or not we hold the information
- Failed to provide the information you have requested
- Failed to explain the reasons for refusing a request
- Failed to correctly apply an exemption or exception
The FOI Internal Review Officer will not have been involved in the original decision. They will conduct an independent internal review and will inform you of the outcome of the review normally within 20 working days, but exceptionally within 40 working days, in line with the Information Commissioner’s guidance.
The FOI Internal Review Officer will either: uphold the original decision, provide an additional explanation of the exemption/s applied or release further information, if it is considered appropriate to do so.
Appeal to Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)
If, following the outcome of the internal review you remain unhappy with our response, you may raise an appeal with the Information Commissioner’s Office at:
The Case Reception Unit
Customer Service Team
The Information Commissioner’s Office
Telephone helpline: 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545745 for advice, Monday to Friday.
Thank you for your enquiry.