Using a lifecycle perspective, it is clear that the vast majority of emissions and resource use associated with Ordnance Survey come from the activities of our suppliers. Only a small proportion are a direct result of the operations of Ordnance Survey.
We are committed to reducing resource consumption and emissions in line with the Paris Climate Agreement and United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs) to achieve a sustainable, low-carbon future for humanity. We recognise the commercial risks of not addressing wider environmental concerns, and add value to many of our customers through improving their operational efficiency and use of resources.
This policy sets the framework on how we manage and continually improve our environmental performance and other aspects of sustainable development.
As part of our commitment to protect the environment, we will:
- Inspire our workforce to respond to the current and future needs of the business and its customers in relation to sustainable development and climate change.
- Fulfil legislative requirements and the compliance obligations of our stakeholders.
- Improve the efficiency of our use of natural resources; reduce waste and atmospheric emissions by establishing short, medium, and long term targets that are commensurate with the relevant UN SDGs, and enforce controls to prevent pollution to air, water, and land.
- Adopt methods of working and product creation that mitigate the effects of climate change, adhering to our mission of ‘improving lives’ and our corporate values of ‘Adventurous’, ‘Incisive’, ‘Restless’ and ‘True’.
- Integrate environmental management throughout our business activities, and set environmental objectives using an ISO14001:2015 Environmental Management System.
- Communicate the Environmental Policy and Management System to all staff using a systematic approach that contributes to continual improvement.
- Integrate environmental criteria into the procurement process and ensure that contractors, suppliers and customers are aware and supportive of our environmental commitments.
Chief Executive Officer