We use the Best Companies b-heard survey to measure employee engagement. The survey measures eight factors of workplace engagement:
- My Manager - How employees feel about and communicate with their direct manager
- Leadership - How employees feel about the head of the organisation, senior management and the organisation's values and principles
- My Company - The level of engagement employees feel with their job and organisation
- Personal growth - How employees feel about training and their future prospects
- My Team - Employees feeling towards their immediate colleagues and how well they work together
- Giving Something Back - The extent to which employees feel their organisation has a positive impact on society
- Fair Deal - How happy employees are with pay and benefits
- Wellbeing - How employees feel about stress, pressure at work and life balance
The eight factors combine to inform a single score, the Best Companies Index Score (BCI) which is the measure of workplace engagement. Scores are on a fixed scale from 0-1000 and OS scored 629.9. This score places us as a ‘One to Watch’ organisation.The survey results show that people are proud to work at OS and believe they can make a valuable contribution. We have a strong sense of team and most have good relationships with their line managers.
Areas that we are focusing on improving further are leadership development and personal growth. One of the ways we’re doing this is encouraging everyone to get involved with Make it Amazing – our action planning programme. Make it Amazing helps teams think in the immediate and medium term of things they can do to reach the next level – to be truly amazing.