Accurate and up-to-date addressing and location data is key to the daily operations of all the emergency services, and especially critical to British Transport Police (BTP) as a lot of its information is bespoke to railway stations and railway lines. By introducing a single force gazetteer using Ordnance Survey’s AddressBase Premium, BTP has saved time and costs in manually updating records, and is able to respond to live incidents more quickly.
What were the challenges?
- Adjusting back office systems to keep up with constantly evolving front-line police operations.
- Integrating a records management system and a command and control system with address records.
- Centralising and improving the location data to not only feed these two core systems but to provide a single source of location data for any future system.
What was the solution?
Now we have one single force gazetteer, all our address management is in one place and gives us one version of the truth.Richard Moss, Interim GIS Manager, British Transport Police
BTP chose Aligned Assets’ Bluelight Gazetteer which uses AddressBase Premium – the most accurate and up-to-date national dataset currently produced in the UK. It’s a combination of data from Ordnance Survey, the Royal Mail and local authorities, and gives BTP the ability to create and manage local records using third party data – including railway stations, rail and tramlines, and rail depots. Each record is tagged with a Unique Property Reference Number (UPRN) which makes it easy to share accurate data across departments and organisations.
What were the benefits?
- Reduced the time and effort in processing records manually, allowing BTP to spread resources across the department more efficiently.
- Six-weekly change only updates ensure the data is accurate and current.
- Anticipated increase in detail of crime recording location, allowing greater accuracy and therefore better analysis and reporting in the future.
- Time and cost savings when responding to live incidents – especially rapid response.
- Opportunity for future real-time data visualisation on mobile devices and apps.