What were the challenges?
- Cleveland Police cover an area of 230 square miles with a population of around 560,000. The Force delivers Neighbourhood Policing across four local authority areas containing 79 electoral wards.
- For each ward Neighbourhood Policing Teams keep detailed information, including demographics and records on important community, commercial and industrial buildings. This vital information is updated manually on a monthly basis.
- A more efficient, modern and automated solution was sought, allowing officers to focus directly on front line policing.
What was the solution?
Officers now have quick and easy access to accurate and up to date address information and mapping, at a range of scales.
By linking AddressBase Premium classification codes and grid references with OS MasterMap topographic identifiers, the iMap application identifies building points of interest and property use. Additional features allow officers to query, analyse and superimpose information on crime and incidents, improving decision making and planning.
The iMap application uses AddressBase Premium, OS Boundary-Line, OS MasterMap Topography Layer, OS Vectormap Local, 1:50000 Scale Colour Raster and 1:250 000 Scale Colour Raster data.
What were the outcomes?
- Returning Neighbourhood Officers to frontline policing. Around 474 hours per year extra hours on the beat.
- Greater partnership working with the local authorities and agencies.
- Through the PSMA, Ordnance Survey data on iMap is accessible by all Force departments.
- Provides the intelligence needed for long-term problem solving activities and helps to identify opportunities to engage with the local community.
- Future proof against electoral ward changes.
- Enhanced awareness of locations of interest and warning markers
The products used
- 1:50 000 Scale Colour Raster
- 1:250 000 Scale Colour Raster
- AddressBase Premium
- OS MasterMap Topography Layer
- OS VectorMap Local