Exactrak is the leading supplier of web-based tracking and monitoring systems for specialist local authority highways maintenance vehicles, including gritters, gully-cleaners, road-sweepers, refuse trucks and white-van fleets. Exactrak has over 90 local authority customers, which are under considerable pressure to deliver greater operational efficiencies.
In 2011, Exactrak sought to update its core system architecture and teamed up with mapping and open-source experts Astun Technology. The challenge was to provide better system performance, together with enhanced capabilities, that would deliver operational efficiencies for both vendor and customer alike. The core system would also enable and support the delivery of an ambitious ongoing product roadmap that would take advantage of new data, such as Met Office route-based forecasting.
Exactrak’s new application is a single, multi-tenanted, web-based solution that serves all its clients. Use of the OS MasterMap Integrated Transport Network™ (ITN) Layer enables Exactrak to design precise routes, taking into account road widths, speeds, weight limits and height restrictions, and provide customers with real-time map-based tracking, monitoring and reporting. The new system will enable the introduction of in-cab map-based route navigation with automatic loading of predefined routes; and in gritters, automated, intelligent salt spreading. Drivers will be able to select a route and follow the navigation instructions without having to think about where to engage the salt-spreader, which is switched on and off automatically with full spread width control. In the control room, the new user interface provides customers with vehicle position and speed, displayed on maps in real time. The application supports single and multiple screens and projection for larger control rooms. A full range of tabular and map-based reporting is available in real time and archived for precise proof of activity.
The Exactrak application roadmap includes:
- Routebuilder: a tool to enable customers to design and create their own routes, complete with turn-by-turn route navigation.
- Route-based salting: utilising verification of forecasting to improve salting deployment and aid risks with decision-making.
- Full vehicle telemetry (including harsh braking, acceleration and cornering to improve driving and fuel efficiency, minimising vehicle wear and tear).
Vehicle ‘geofencing’ to ensure vehicles do not go out of their authorised area.
- Single, high-performance web-based application.
- Open-source ‘cloud’-based mapping delivers savings on software license fees and management.
- Full range of tabular and map-based reports; compliant with legislation for proof of activity.
- Improved operational efficiency and fuel savings through route optimisation.
- Fully-automated salt-spreading and width controls savings.
- Improved vehicle and driver management; delivering huge savings in fuel.