Responding to increasing demand in patient travel in South Devon with help of PSMA data.
South Devon Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust provides patient transport services (PTS) to Torbay and the South Devon area – an area covering 63 sq km. With a growing elderly population, and mobility issues on the rise, an 8% increase in patient journeys a year has been predicted. Using OS’s AddressBase and OS MasterMap Integrated Transport Network (ITN) Layer, the Trust can now respond to an increasing demand for patient travel with the same resources.
What were the challenges?
- A predicted 8% growth in demand for PTS (6,000 journeys) annually.
- Managing increased workload with the same amount of vehicles and staff.
- A need for a more accurate journey timeanalysis.
- Increasing elderly population; increasing mobility issues; increasing health visits.
- Flexibility needed to move people at very short notice when beds become available.
- Increased financial constraints for the Trust along with all NHS® Trusts across the country.
- 23.5% of population are over 65 (compared to the national average of 16.4%) with 42% of over 75s living at home alone.
What was the solution?
Data available to us through the PSMA and investment in MIS’s C3 CAD system has enabled Patient Transport Services to improve our understanding of the efficient allocation of resources to help us meet growing demand for patient travel in South DevonAndy Knowles, Transport Services Manager
The Trust needed to improve allocation, understanding and efficiencies for planning patient journeys. They invested in the C3 Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system from MIS, and utilised OS’s AddressBase and ITN layer – available free at the point of use through the Public Sector Mapping Agreement. Accurate patient address coordinates are sent from their CAD to TomTom® devices in vehicles, while actual travel time data is fed back into the system to improve accuracy for travel time planning.
What were the outcomes?
- Provides more patient journeys using same resources.
- Helps manage impact of ageing demographic and increasing demand for care and patient journeys.
- Ensures contractual service level agreements with NHS Trusts are met.
- Enables flexible working approach to allocate staff and vehicle resources at short notice.
- Accurately locates patients using AddressBase.
- Collecting real-time travel data to improve journey time planning.