Scotland's historic environment data online
Scotland has a wide range of architectural, archaeological, industrial, maritime sites and other protected heritage. Thanks to OS mapping provided under the One Scotland Mapping Agreement, key datasets about the historic environment can now be accessed quickly and easily through the PastMap website.
What were the challenges?
- Bringing together a wealth of information about Scotland's historic envrionment.
- Making the information held by public agencies accessible quickly and easily.
- Promoting the value and enjoyment of the environment through better infomed public-focussed services.
- Managing several organisations' input efficiently and cost effecively.
What was the solution?
Partners across the historic environment sector worked together to develop PastMap.
Maintained at the Royal Comission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS) and co-funded by Historic Scotland, it's web portal and interactive map use OS data.
This single platform has lots of location-based information from many relevant sourcces and is an intial one-stop tool for anyone interested in historic environment data.
What were the outcomes?
- Its simple interface shows partner data on user-friendly, scalable maps.
- Promotes Scotland’s rich heritage, and saves time spent responding to basic enquiries.
- Helps historic environment agencies deliver on Scotland’s national outcomes.
- OSMA lets OS mapping and wide-ranging historic environment data be shared without further licensing.