Using a range of datasets from OS, the development of a Customer Relationship Management System (CRM) and an integrated customer facing web portal gave SYPTE a single view of their customers to deliver better service and savings.
What were the challenges?
- Improving the way SYPTE interacts with existing and potential public transport users for information and ticketing products.
- Adding cost-effective value to its existing services by offering customer self-service through a web portal.
- Reducing costs by improving efficiency (cost per customer transaction).
What was the solution?
Like many, we face the need to improve services and reduce costs. Our decision to migrate more customers online produced plenty of challenges for our business and IT systems. However, hard work by those involved delivered the business and customer benefits needed to grow patronage and reduce costs.Peter Elliot, South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive
A new Customer Relationship Management system (Microsoft CRM Dynamics) has been installed along with the development of a new online customer portal, where all customer data is underpinned by the OS AddressBase Premium data.
To further enhance SYPTE’s two-way communication, a series of mapping apps and online maps have been developed using a range of Ordnance Survey’s PSMA and OS OpenData™.
The resulting web portal mytsy.travelsouthyorkshire.com now allows customers to:
- Buy tickets and apply for concession passes.
- Make journey enquiries.
- Check timetable and departure information.
- Be aware of service disruptions.
- Report issues with the bus services or bus stops and make requests for new ones.
What were the outcomes?
- Reduction in staff numbers
- Reduction in costs (£400,000 in first year, with an increased saving in later years).
- Quicker resolution of customer interactions at first point of contact, which has reduced the overall cost of each contact.
- Improved customer satisfaction and patronage.
- A fully responsive web map design for use on desktop PC, tablet and mobile phones.
- Creation of a postcode lookup for customers’ and organisations’ addresses using AddressBase Premium data.