Sunderland City Council had to look at ways to optimise their Waste Management Services and make efficiencies in residual waste and recycling.
By using free PSMA data from OS, the council have effectively re-organised their routes, leading to hundreds of thousands of pounds saved in fuel, vehicle and staff costs.
What were the challenges?
- Improving efficiencies and optimising budget and resources.
- Re-assessing and re-designing routes around 124,000 properties in the city.
- Continuing to provide excellent customer service to 275,000 customers.
What was the solution?
The council used RouteSmart from Integrated Software Solutions Limited. Its base mapping complemented Ordnance Survey’s Integrated Transport Network (ITN) product to design new rounds. A four-day working week was also introduced, together with a more even distribution of workload.
What were the outcomes?
- An initial trial in the north of the city resulted in the removal of one refuse collection crew – saving £120,000 per year.
- A full roll-out of the route system, reconfiguring rounds across the whole of the city, saw a saving of £300,000 per year.
- Less public disruption as no collections on a Monday removes Bank Holidays.
- By continual monitoring of performance, the City Council can develop further efficiencies in the service.
- Future tipping points of current rounds can be identified.