Increasing efficiency and savings
Walsall Council’s emergency cleaning bill for its 33,000 gullies was historically unproductive and reactive due to a lack of knowledge about the network. Surveying technology experts KaarbonTech developed a solution that would not only help the Council reduce emergencies through better drain maintenance, but lower its costs too.
- Maintaining a network of 33,000 gullies.
- Identifying problems earlier and preventing incidents.
- Reducing the need for emergency gully cleaning. Improving service and reducing costs.
OS data helped KaarbonTech create a single piece of software called Gully SMART, an innovative GIS based solution, able to map and monitor gully drainage networks alongside other local authority assets. The software, used with handheld devices, means staff in the field can capture data using voice, video and photos with GIS, underpinned by Ordnance Survey mapping.
- Gauges the need for an on-site inspection. Identifies problems earlier and prevents incidents.
- Allows other agencies to be alerted and issues to be addressed.
- Allows a focus of spend to be directed to areas of most need.
- A 50% reduction in emergency call-outs predicted