More and more research shows just how damaging inactivity is to the health and wellbeing of the nation. We’re passionate about changing this, and getting people active and outside.
Did you know:
- Children in the UK spend an average of six hours per day in front of screens. In England 71% of 12-year old boys and 81% of 12-year old girls do not meet minimum physical activity guidelines of 60 minutes per day (Source: Youth Foundation)
- Physical activity in adults can reduce the chances of:
- Type 2 Diabetes by 40%
- Cardiovascular disease by 35%
- Falls, Depression and Dementia by 30%
- Joint and back pain by 25%
- Colon and breast cancer by 20%
(Source Public Health England)
#GetOutside aims to inspire people to get out, see more and do more in the great outdoors.
We recruited some great champions last year, and they inspired us all.
We had people running from John O’Groats to Land’s End in 35 days, paddle boarding the length of England’s waterways, and completing the Three Peak’s Challenge well under 24 hours!
Recruitment for 2017 is now open.
We know there are lots of champions capable of these and many other feats, and we’d love them to help the nation to #GetOutside and make the most of our beautiful country.
We’ve been overwhelmed by the interest, so far - in just two weeks we had more people applying than we did in the whole of last year’s campaign. But there’s still time to get your application in… Applications close at midnight on Sunday 20 November.
We’ll unveil the new Champions in the new year, and get them ready to encourage more #GetOutside adventures across the country. If you’d like to find out more, then let us know. #GetOutside is a great initiative supported by the Outdoor Industry Association, the European Outdoor Group and organisations such as Sport England.
The more of us that get involved, the more of an impact we can have.