Before an online order can be made, please register using the online registration tools. Please note that after registration there will be a delay of a few days to ensure that all of your existing holdings have been imported into the system. You will then receive a temporary password that must be used to log into the system within 7 days of receipt.
Log in using your user name and password. It is helpful if you save the login page to your Favourites).
From the Home page, select the My Products tab. This page indicates the holdings for each of the products you are licensed to use (with some exceptions – see FAQs).
If you wish to view an existing product holding or expand a particular holding, identify the appropriate item and press the < View & Order More > button. This will open a map page on which is marked in red the current licensed areas.
Your holdings are listed by product – using the < arrow > icon expands the list to show your holdings for a product. Use < Show all > to display all your holdings. Use < Hide all > to close the display.
To prevent irregularities within your data holdings a lock is applied when that holding is in service; the message ‘An order is currently being processed. Please check back later’ is displayed.
If you do not have any licensed holdings, the My Products page will be empty. Please select the Add another Product button. This will open a clear map page ready for you to draw and define your area-of-interest. The options for ordering are in the Map tool bar shown below (12 icons). Icon 7 is the option for Import tile list.
The map page is designed for you to draw an area-of-interest for which you would like to receive map data. There are a number of drawing tools available to help you, including a facility to upload an area-of-interest which you can draw in your own geographic information system (GIS). Where product data is supplied for a whole region or country, you will be able to choose these areas from an onscreen list.
Using the map and map tools
- Use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out of the map.
- Click on the + or - symbols at the top and bottom of the zoom bar.
- Click and hold the mouse button on the triangle within the zoom bar and move this up or down to choose the map scale. Release the mouse button when you have chosen the required map scale. Note text appears to guide you of the available background map.
- See zoom information for the Pan tool below.
Display of Area-of-Interest 'Polygons'
- Red = Display of existing holdings.
- Blue = When drawing/importing and editing a polygon or a selected holding polygon.
- Green = If you choose a tiled product from the right hand side of the screen, the tiles that will be supplied for your drawn or imported (blue) polygon will be highlighted.
- Black = Deleting from a drawn/imported polygon or a selected holding polygon.
- When a map tool is highlighted green it is available for selection.
- When a map tool is highlighted pink it is active and in use (see 1 above).
- When a map tool is greyed out it is inactive and not selectable.
- This is the default tool which is highlighted when you first visit the page.
- When the pan tool is active you can click and drag the map to move it around (pan).
- It also allows you to zoom in by double-clicking or zoom out by < Ctrl >+double-clicking.
2. Draw an Area-of-Interest 'Polygon'
- When this tool is selected you can draw an area-of-interest 'polygon' onto the map by single-clicking points until you double click to complete your polygon. Your drawn areas appear in blue.
- You may draw other areas on the same map page. If areas overlap, they will be merged together automatically as soon as you double-click to complete the second polygon.
- If you are mid-way through drawing a polygon and want to start again, press the < Esc > key.
- Once a polygon has been drawn, the erase tool will become available - (see Toggle Draw/Erase below).
- Click erase again to return to drawing mode.
- If you need to pan the map whilst you are drawing, click, hold and drag.
- If you need to zoom whilst you are drawing you can use the mouse scroll wheel or click on the + or - on the zoom bar.
3. Draw Rectangle
- When this tool is selected you can draw rectangles in blue on the map by clicking the first corner of a rectangle, hold the mouse button and drag in any direction to display a rectangle. Release the mouse button to complete the polygon.
- If you draw another rectangle that overlaps the first one they will be merged together automatically.
- If you are mid-way through drawing a rectangle and want to start again, press the < Esc > key (before you let go and finish drawing the rectangle).
- If you need to pan the map whilst you are drawing you can use the up down left and right arrows on the keyboard.
- If you need to zoom whilst you are drawing you can use the mouse scroll wheel or click on the + or - on the zoom bar.
- Once a rectangle has been drawn, the erase tool will become available - see Toggle Draw Erase below (NB. Click erase again to return to drawing mode)
4. Select Holdings
- You will have chosen an existing holding from the My Products page. This will be displayed on the mapping screen in red.
- Activate the Select holdings tool and click and drag to create your selection area; this is shown as a dotted red line.
- All intersecting polygons within this area are selected and will now be shown as a Blue order area. Any tile extent is shown in green. Non-tile based supplies will show the supply area in blue only.
- If you wish to select your entire area you should draw a polygon around the outside of your holdings.
- Modify your selection; activate the Drawing and Erase tools, see Toggle Draw Erase below.
- Any area to be removed will be shown in black.
5. Reset Drawing
- Anything you have drawn or uploaded will be shown as a blue polygon which will remain in the map window for your whole session. That is useful if you are ordering different products for the same polygon as you can simply use the blue polygon again e.g. ordering Topo, ITN and Address for a new area.
- If you don’t Reset Drawing the blue polygon(s) will be included again if you move to another product or contract. This could be a problem if you have large holdings and wish to order or estimate in a different area.
- If you don’t wish to use the blue polygon again, it can be deleted by using this Reset Drawing tool. You will be asked to confirm this action before any areas are removed from the map.
6. Toggle Draw/Erase
- This tool becomes available once an area-of-interest has been drawn on the map, a polygon has been uploaded or an existing holding selected. See 2, 3 & 4 above.
- The < Erase > tool is used in conjunction with the polygon or rectangle drawing tool to remove parts of your area-of-interest.
- Areas to be removed will appear onscreen in black.
- Clicking the < Erase > tool again will toggle you back to drawing mode and will add to the drawn/uploaded areas.
7. Upload tile lists or polygons
Upload tile lists
Create a tile list as a .txt file
Please ensure that there is only one tile reference per row with no spaces, no “quotes” and that the tile reference is in upper case eg TQ5554NE.
Ensure that there are no blank rows anywhere in your list.
Save as type “Text (tab delimited) (*.txt) with an appropriate file name.
- If you have created a tile list for your area-of-interest, you may upload the list to the map page subject to the following criteria:
- .TXT file format for tile list, one tile per line. The maximum number of tiles is 2,500 per tile list. The system can aggregate tile lists.
- A mix of different types of tile reference in the tile list is supported, eg TQ, TQ20, TQ20SE
- The tile size is inferred from the tile reference as in the table below:
Tile size (m)
- If you have drawn an area-of-interest 'polygon' in your own geographic information system (GIS), you may upload the polygon to the map page subject to the following criteria:
- .WKT file format (max file size 2MB).
- .SHP file format (max file size 2MB).
- Your complete area-of-interest can contain up to 50,000 points in up to 2000 polygons.
- If your Shapefile contains multiple polygons they must be combined before uploading. Otherwise only the first polygon will be uploaded.
- If you upload multiple files, the merged / combined total cannot exceed the total criteria stated above.
- Once a polygon/tile list has been uploaded, the erase tool will become available - see Toggle Draw Erase above (NB. Click erase again to return to drawing mode).
8. Load Polygon from the Polygon Library
- By selecting the appropriate category from the file structure on the left of the dialogue box you can load an area-of-interest from either the Predefined or My Polygons contained in the library
- My Polygons - Displays your organisation's saved polygons and those for orders placed in this system.
- Predefined Polygons - will display polygons created by Ordnance Survey for specific areas such as: Local Authority Counties, Districts and Unitary Authorities; NHS areas; Postcode Areas; National Parks; M25 buffer. This could be a useful resource to compare your holdings with any of the pre-defined areas even if you don’t wish to order the latter.
- Select from the folder structure the polygon you wish to load. Open the folders in the left hand panel; select your area-of-interest from the polygon files listed in the right hand panel by expanding the selection using the + symbol e.g. England – Unitary Authorities – City of Southampton.
- Or search for a polygon by typing a keyword in the search field. A list of all polygons containing your keyword will be returned.
- Highlight the polygon you want and double click or click Load
- Your area-of-interest 'polygon' will be drawn on the map and highlighted in blue. This can then be edited and changed the same as any other drawn or imported polygon.
9. Save Polygon to the Polygon Library
- Once you have drawn an area-of-interest polygon select the Save Polygon to the Polygon Library tool.
- Your saved Polygons will be listed on the right of the dialogue box.
- The save polygon dialogue box will open
- Name your polygon and click save.
- The polygon has been saved to your library and can be accessed in the future by using the Load Polygon from the Polygon Library tool.
- Delete a saved polygon by selecting it from the right hand panel and clicking the ‘Dustbin’ icon.
- A saved polygon can be overwritten by saving a polygon of the same name. You will be warned that the polygon already exists in the selected folder and asked "Do you want to overwrite this polygon?" Click Yes to overwrite.
- Use the < Undo > button to reset the last three actions carried out in the map.
- Use the < Redo > button to restore any of the last three actions carried out in the map.
12. Pan/Zoom To Show All Polygons:
- If you have drawn multiple areas over various parts of the map or have panned to a different area of the map, this tool can be used to zoom out to display all of the currently drawn areas-of-interest 'polygons' in a single view.
13. Place name/Postcode Search
- Type the place name or postcode of your area-of-interest to zoom to that location
View last extent
When adding a new product, the mapping screen will start at your last viewed extent and zoom level; returning you to your most recent area-of-interest. This service uses the Adobe Flash Player which employs a small data file called a 'Local Shared Object' (LSO) also known as a 'Flash Cookie' to remember the last area of mapping you viewed. This function can be disabled in most modern browsers by following the steps below;
- With the mapping visible on the screen right click the mouse to view a pop up menu
- Select 'Settings...' to view the Adobe Flash Player settings menu
- Select the Local Storage tab (Folder Icon)
- Tick the 'Never Ask Again' check box
- Click close to complete the action
- Re-allow Flash Cookies by removing the tick in the 'Never Ask Again' check box
Using Adobe Flash Player version 9? You will only be able to use the 'Global Settings' function that will block all Flash Cookies (Local Shared Objects) from all organisations not just Ordnance Survey.
Defining your order
The numbered panel to the left of the mapping screen will guide you through the options you need to confirm for your order.
When adding to an existing holding the options will be preset based on the licence holding you wish to expand.
Adding a new product holding? Choose a product and define your delivery options:
- Order Type - Will display the product catalogue you are ordering from.
- Product - Pick your product from the product list.
- Delivery - Select your preferred delivery method. The options may be different for different products.
- Download – Your order will be available to download from the My Orgs Download page.
- DVD/CD – Your order will be burned to DVD or CD and delivered via courier.
- HDD (Hard Disk Drive) – For large data orders only. Your order will be loaded to HDD and delivered via courier.
- FTP (File Transfer Protocol) – Your order will be available to collect via an FTP service.
- Future Updates - Choose your future update type from the dropdown list. The options may be different for different products.
- Format - Pick your file format. The file formats offered will be those available for the product you are ordering. More information on file formats can be found on our product pages.
- Price - When you have completed sections 1-3 the price of your order will be displayed in section 4.
- Once you're happy with your selection, the defined item can be added to the shopping basket using the button provided.
- Click the link provided to view the basket.
- The basket will display details for each item defined.
- An item can be removed by using the < Delete > icon.
- For contract expansions you MUST add a valid Purchase Order (PO) number in the field provided. You may also add an order, project or user reference in this field.
- It is essential that a valid PO number is entered in the appropriate field. Without this the automatic invoice is likely to be rejected for payment.
- Once you're happy to proceed, either press the < Checkout > button to proceed to the Checkout or press < Continue Shopping > button.
- If you wish to add another item to the shopping basket, press the < Continue Shopping > button.
- The previously drawn/uploaded area-of-interest 'polygon' will be displayed onscreen and will remain until removed (See Reset Drawing).
- Amend the area-of-interest as required.
- Select the required options and add the defined item to the shopping basket as above.
When adding to an existing product holding, the < Continue Shopping > button returns to the My Products page. Should you wish to order something else, either select an existing holding and use the < View area & order more > button for a particular holding or press the < Add another product > button and proceed as above.
- If there is an item (or items) in the basket and you are ready to place your order, press the < Checkout > button.
- Add a delivery contact name.
- Choose an address or add a new address as required.
- Confirm your password
- Press the < Place Order > button and you're done!
- On placing an order, details of the order you just placed appear onscreen with an online order reference for each item.
- You are encouraged to print the onscreen confirmation for your records.
- Order details will be displayed in the Order History page and the My Products page will be updated to include your new order after a few moments.
- If you have placed an order for delivery via the download service, you will receive an email shortly.
Here you find all the details of any order placed by your organisation using this system. This includes details of the ordered area-of-interest polygon which can be recovered for you to use again (perhaps as the basis for a new order).
- What is Ordnance Survey Orders?
It is the new and improved way of ordering geographic data for your business from Ordnance Survey.
- How can I give feedback?
We are always eager to hear your views about your ordering experiences. Your feedback will enable us to improve the service we provide. Please feel free to contact us and let us know your thoughts.
- Which products are not available to order using this service?
Whilst a wide range of products can be ordered using this service, you can only order the following products:
- Land-Form Profile Plus
- National Land & Property Gazetteer
- OS MasterMap - Prebuild Address Layer
- Points of Interest