- Are the current products being replaced?
Yes they are. In March 2015, OS released a new product, OS Open Names (Beta), which was created in response to the need for a reliable location search product. OS Open Names combines many elements from OS Locator and 1:50 000 Scale Gazetteer, place names, road names and numbers, and postcodes into one comprehensive searchable list of more than 2.5 million GB locations.
- Can OS Open Names (Beta) be used with other OpenData Products?
Yes, it can. For example, when used with OS Open Roads, it gives an improved index and geometry of road names and numbers.
- Will all the names from the 1:50 000 Scale Gazetteer be included in OS Open Names?
Some names, such as farms and antiquities, will not be included in OS Open Names because, they may not be complete datasets, for instance, unless a farm contains the word ‘farm’ as part of the name it will not have been identified under this feature type. We want OS Open Names to be as complete as possible.
- Are there plans to include other geographic names?
Geographic area names and other named features will be available through the OS Open Names API. The themes are:
- Large geographical area names e.g. New Forest, Dartmoor etc.
- Water features - lakes, ponds and reservoirs
- Hills and mountain ranges
- Hills and mountains
- Network names –Named railway lines
- Woods and forests
- Sea area names
- Beaches and sandbanks
- Islands and coastal rock
- Valleys, hollows and cirques
- Headlands, bays and other coastal names (cliffs, rocks etc.)
- Sites including schools, hospitals and transport hubs
In March 2015 Ordnance Survey launched OS Open Names. Following the introduction of this new product, we believe now is an appropriate time to officially announce the withdrawal of OS Locator and 1:50 000 Scale Gazetteer.
Both products have been extensively used since they were introduced. However, we felt that with the increasing need for reliable location search products for use in a range of applications, something new was needed – and this is why we created OS Open Names.
OS Open Names combines the best elements of the 1:50 000 Scale Gazetteer, OS Locator and Code-Point Open. It provides place names, road names and numbers in one comprehensive, searchable list of more than 2.5 million locations in Great Britain.
As of 1 June 2015, we are giving you one year’s notice of the withdrawal of this product and, for the avoidance of doubt, wish to make you aware of these key dates:
|Product||Last update||Withdrawal from OS OpenData order system|
|OS Locator||May 2016||1 October 2017|
|1:50 000 Scale Gazetteer||June 2016||1 October 2017|
If you have a question that we haven't answered below, free free to contact us.