Jump to the following:

By continuing, you agree to the use of cookies by us and third parties, which we use to improve your visit.

Public sector mapping agreements

How do I join one of the mapping agreements?

We have two mapping agreements for the public sector; the One Scotland Mapping Agreement (OSMA) covers Scotland and the Public Sector Mapping Agreement (PSMA) which covers England and Wales.

Considering joining the:



Who can join a mapping agreement?

Almost every public sector organisation in England, Scotland and Wales can join one of the mapping agreements.

The eligibility criteria for the two mapping agreements (as specified by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills for England and Wales and the Scottish Government) are as follows:

Where can I see the agreement documents and licences?

Find both of the agreement documents and their associated licences on our public sector licences page.

Can I join on behalf of more than one organisation?

Yes, provided you have the delegated authority from the other member(s) to act on their behalf.

Ordnance Survey may ask to see this authority (which could be in the form of a formal notice or a ‘Contractor Licence’).

All the organisations you represent must also have been accepted and signed up to the mapping agreement.

However, you must ensure you order the data separately for each organisation for which you are the nominated contact. This will enable the appropriate data supply contracts to be set up. You should not just order one set of data and then share it with all.

Tell me about Schools and agreement membership?

Schools are not eligible to join either of the mapping agreements.

  • Local Education Authority (LEA) schools are regarded as being a department of their Local Education Authority (so under that member's licence have the same rights and entitlements) and can access mapping through them.
  • Other non-LEA schools can have access to a member's information under an End User Licence - where the supply of information is in support of that member's 'core business' remit. If these schools require Ordnance Survey mapping information for other purposes they will need their own licence.

    Schools can also sign up to Digimap for Schools, an online mapping service which provides access to Ordnance Survey maps which can be viewed or printed.

What happens with Parish, Town and Community Councils and membership?

Local councils in England and Wales are eligible to join the PSMA.

Community Councils in Scotland are eligible to join the OSMA.

How can I know who the members are of the mapping agreements?

You can find out the names of the member organisations by taking a look at one of these

What products are available to members under the mapping agreements?

There are many digital mapping and data products available to members for ordering.

To learn more about Ordnance Survey products, please visit the public sector products page for more information

Who set up the mapping agreements?

The OSMA is led by Scottish Government, in conjunction with the Improvement Service who represented the public sector organisations in Scotland.

The PSMA was originally led by the Shareholder Executive in conjunction with the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG), representatives from local government, Welsh Assembly and health. The PSMA is now managed by the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS).

Where can I get more help?

If you need more help, please also visit the public sector support home page.

Back to top
© Ordnance Survey 2018