Jump to the following:

We use cookies to improve this website. Read about cookies

Licences and agreements explained

We offer a wide range of licences, as follows:

OS OpenData

Ordnance Survey makes a number of raster and vector datasets available free of charge under the terms of an Open Government Licence. The Open Government Licence allows you to:

  • copy, distribute and transmit the data;
  • adapt the data; and
  • exploit the data commercially.

OS OpenSpace API

The OS OpenSpace service is free of charge and enables web applications to be built using datasets that are hosted by Ordnance Survey. It is available for use by anyone – including commercial organisations – and enables web applications with a wide variety of functionality to be created.

Derived Data and Free to Use Terms

We have introduced new terms on the creation and use of derived data by our licensees, some of which now permit the use of derived data free of charge (subject to terms and conditions).

Framework Contract (Direct Customers)

Users wishing to use our products for their day-to-day internal business use may licence digital map data directly from Ordnance Survey under the terms of the Framework Contract (Direct Customers). This defines the overarching terms and conditions of the commercial relationship between the user and Ordnance Survey. It is underpinned with Data Contracts for each product being licensed.

Framework Contract (Partners)

This is required if you wish to exploit Ordnance Survey data commercially in your own value-added products and services or wish to resell/distribute our data. This licence is underpinned with Partner Contracts which cover each type of product or service developed.

Framework Trade Agreement

If you wish to resell our paper maps through your retail outlet or you are a wholesaler wishing to distribute our maps then you will require this licence.

Paper Map Copying Licence

This licence permits the use of our mapping for the internal administration of your organisation with some limited external display rights.

Copying Paper Mapping in Libraries and Archives

We recognise that you may wish to make a copy of a map held in a Public Library or Archive. We have an agreement with the Libraries and Archives Copyright Alliance (LACA), supported by the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP) to enable you to make copies of mapping, including superseded mapping held by Libraries and Archives, under certain circumstances. Guidance is also available for Librarians and Archivists.

Publishing Licence

Should you wish to reproduce our mapping within a publication, in paper or electronic form, which may either be for sale or free distribution, you will require a Publishing Licence.

Innovation Licences

We offer three licences which enable customers to acquire sample data free of charge (subject to terms and conditions) for the purpose of testing, evaluating and demonstrating our data. Click on the link above for full details.

Licensing for education

If you represent a school, college or university, please see our Education page.

Media Licence

If you would like to use our maps in a newspaper, a TV programme or film, you may do so under the terms of our Media Licence.

Contractor Licence

This contract allows you to pass your licensed data to a third party contractor to carry out work using our data on your behalf. You will need to ensure that your contractor signs this licence.

Licensing under collective purchasing agreements

Geographic data is available free at the point of use to members of the Public Sector Mapping Agreement – covering England and Wales – and the One Scotland Mapping Agreement.

Back to top
© Ordnance Survey 2016
Be sure to take a look at our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy