This Agreement sets out the terms on which Ordnance Survey Limited (company registration number 09121572) (we, us, our, OS) makes API services available to its customers, including you, the person or entity entering into this Agreement (you and your). You and we are each a party and together the parties.
Summary of key terms
To help you understand this Agreement, we’d like to explain some of its terms. This is only a summary, it’s not a substitute for our full Agreement. When you’ve read the full Agreement, please let us know if there’s anything you’re not sure of or that you’d like us to clarify before going any further.
Our full Agreement covers the permitted use of our family of API services (OS Places – API, OS Names – API, OS Maps – API, OS Routes – API and OS Boundaries – API) either within your own business or externally as part of your products and services. It sets out the general terms and conditions of use and describes:
- The scope of your licence (Clause 4).
- Your obligations (Clause 5).
- Paying us (Clause 6).
- Our service levels (Clause 7).
- Access to the API services, termination or expiry of the Agreement and cancellation of Pricing Plans (Clause 9); and
- The warranties given by, and the liability of, both parties (Clause 10).
The specific terms for each API are set out in separate Schedules (Schedules 1 to 5). These include: definitions of a Transaction (which determines the relevant Free Use Limits or Transaction Limits); the length of its Data Exploration Period and Trial Period; and details of each of its Pricing Plans – what data they include and any applicable third party terms you need to be aware of
Paying for our APIs
Depending on how you’d like to use our APIs and who your target audience is going to be, you may prefer Pricing Plans to be on a monthly or annual basis:
- Monthly Plans let you use our APIs with no need for a separate licence with us. They comprise Consumer Plans and Business Plans. Consumer Plans and Business Plans both include a number of Transactions per month for free (this is what we call your Free Use Limit). Above those Transaction levels, we charge a specific fee.
- Annual Plans include Direct Customer Plans, Public Sector Plans, Partner Plans, Data Exploration Plans and Trial Plans. The licensing period for Annual Plans is typically 1 year; however the licensing period for Trial Plans is 2 months and is either 1 year or 3 months for our Data Exploration Plans – depending on the API.
- Unless you’re using a Data Exploration Plan or a Trial Plan or accessing OS OpenData datasets or other open data datasets, you’ll have to enter into an appropriate licence with us for Annual Plans and pay us the appropriate licence fees or royalties under those licences.
Using our APIs
Consumer Plans let you supply API services to consumers for their personal use. Business Plans allow use of our APIs either within your business or as a service to business customers for their internal use.
Trial Plans let you trial APIs within your business for free, subject to a Free Use Limit. Data Exploration Plans let you develop products and/or services using our APIs for free, subject to a Free Use Limit.
Partner Plans let you supply API services to customers as long as you’re party to an appropriate Partner Contract under the Framework Contract (Partners).
Direct Customer Plans and Public Sector Plans let you use our APIs internally, as long as you’re party to either an appropriate Data Contract under the Framework Contract (Direct Customers) or a members’ licence under the Public Sector Mapping Agreement or the One Scotland Mapping Agreement. We can help you put these agreements into place subject to eligibility.
Direct Customer Plans, Public Sector Plans and Partner Plans are all subject to paid for Transaction Limits that operate on an annual basis.