Quick guide to

Public sector licensing terms

Here is a summary of our public sector licensing terms and conditions, showing what you can and can’t do with OS data as a member of the Public Sector Mapping Agreement (PSMA) or the One Scotland Mapping Agreement (OSMA).

See your member licence for details about your mapping agreement and our licensing guidance for more information and other ways of licensing OS data.

You can:

As a member, your responsibilites are to:

  • Make sure you use OS licensed data for a purpose which meets your non-commercial core business use.

  • Take the necessary steps to prevent unauthorised access to OS data and the functionality we provide to you.

  • Let us know if you suspect any infringement of OS Crown Copyright and support our investigations. This includes providing us with access to records of who you’ve supplied data to, if required.

  • Pass on your licensing terms to third parties when sharing data. This normally means sending the terms in a document along with the data you’re providing.

  • Include a copyright statement with the appropriate Trade Marks, to clearly acknowledge your use of OS Crown Copyright material in printed and online maps.

  • Make sure you're not making any financial gain/profit from your activity - although you can apply an administrative charge to cover the financial cost of producing something using OS licensed data.

  • Let OS know when you're considering making your derived data available on Open Government Licence (OGL) terms. This is known as a derived data exemption and is only needed when you've created a new dataset which uses OS licensed data that you want others to use.
    You'll firstly need to check you meet the derived data exemption publishing criteria (your datasets may already qualify) and if you do, let us know you’d like an exemption by filling out our presumption to publish form. When you’ve completed the form, the data is deemed to be on OGL terms unless we advise otherwise. If your derived data doesn’t meet the exemption publishing criteria, you can apply for a derived data exemption licence.


Your licence doesn't allow you to:

  • Use OS data beyond what is agreed in the member licence.

  • Use OS data beyond what is agreed in the Postcode Address File (PAF) public sector licence.

  • Use OS data for any commercial service under the member licence – meaning any activity which involves or intends to involve you making money.

  • Engage in competing activity that uses OS data under the member licence. You must not compete with, or be likely to compete with, any third-party licensed for the same data, or OS’s products and services.