OS Names API
Our online directory of place names, road numbers and postcodes in Great Britain.
Help users search for the right place. This web service lets you check locations entered by your users so your site or app can offer useful suggestions if they mistype.
Quickly look up places and roads with two names. OS Open Names contains names in English and their Welsh, Scots or Gaelic alternatives.
Find the nearest place to a given point. By dropping a pin on screen, you can get a list of nearby road names, place names or postcodes – ideal for door-to-door marketing.
The OS Names API database contains over 870,000 roads and over 1.6 million postcodes. Your site or app can query it up to 50,000 times a month.
Find locations nearby
By dropping a pin on screen, you can get a list of nearby road names, place names or postcodes – ideal for door-to-door marketing.
|Key features||What this product offers|
Populated place and transport network, postcode
Populated place: city, town, suburban area, village, hamlet, other settlement. Transport network: named road; numbered road; section of named road; section of numbered road. Postcode.
How do I connect to this service and what do I need to use it?
Does OS Names locate houses?
No, it doesn’t offer checks at the level of individual houses. For property name checking, please sign up for OS Places.
OS Names API is available under the following Licences:
Our open data products are covered by the Open Government Licence (OGL), which allows you to:
- copy, distribute and transmit the data;
- adapt the data; and
- exploit the data commercially, whether by sub-licensing it, combining it with other data, or including it in your own product or application.
We simply ask that you acknowledge the copyright and the source of the data by including the following attribution statement:
- Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2018
- Where you use Code-Point Open data, you must also use the following attribution statements:
- Contains Royal Mail data © Royal Mail copyright and Database right 2018
- Contains National Statistics data © Crown copyright and database right 2018