EDINA's Digimap for Schools - a safe, online mapping service for children to use. Annotate different maps: draw polygons, add text, photos and point markers to plot routes.
Watch some helpful videos on using Digimap for Schools.
- Map reading made easy PDF.
- Map symbols:
- Compasses and directions. Also download PDF.
- Compass bearings.
- How to measure distance. Also download PDF.
- Four- and six-figure grid references:
- Understanding scale. Also download PDF.
- Relief and contours (height). Also download PDF.
- Map reading videos with wildlife presenter, naturalist and #GetOutside Champion Steve Backshall - a series of short one-two-minute videos suitable for using in the classroom: map symbols, grid references, using a compass, contour lines, magnetic north.
MapZone resources for curriculum topics
- River landscapes. Also download PDF.
- Urban development. Also download PDF.
- Glaciation. Also download PDF.
Election maps resources
- Election maps for GB and Northern Ireland - find electoral boundaries using these online maps.
- Useful facts about elections - a summary for teachers.
Activity 1: Who's my councillor?
Get pupils to create a document showing a map of their house and street with the names, details and even photos of all the various councillors that represent that area.
Activity PDF (107kb) | Word doc. (124kb).
Activity 2: Be a vocal local
Get pupils to identify 3-5 issues/problems within the area immediately surrounding your school. They can annotate the map with these problems and also with solutions. You can prioritise issues by importance and colour code whose responsibility each problem lies with.
Activity PDF (106kb) | Word doc. (148kb).
- MapZone games, quizzes and questions.
- Photo finder - Geograph website - find photos of places and geographical features to use in your lessons.
- Minecraft game - install a real map of Great Britain to use in Minecraft.
- Make map symbol cards - a great way for children to learn map symbols.
- Maps of Great Britain, the United Kingdom and Europe (PDFs). Great for colouring in and putting on the wall.
- Get outside ideas - inspire your class to explore the outdoors at weekends.