To help you get the most out of OS data, we’ve provided suitable data licensing terms to our Partners which will be in place on 1 July 2018. These terms will enable them to develop innovative digital online products and services that deliver benefits to the educational community.
What you can do with OS data
Our education licence aims to be enabling and permissive so covers any activities that a fair minded and reasonable person would consider falls within the spirit and intention of ‘Educational Use’. Here’s what students and researchers can do with OS data:
- Use OS data for or in connection with teaching, learning, academic and sponsored research and/or private study.
- Use OS data at or in connection with recognised places of education providing student learning or teacher training, whether on site, or remotely.
- Use OS data at all levels of education, including schools, colleges, universities, research councils and other related entities.
- Where relevant, use OS data to support the delivery of the National Curriculum and the Curriculum for Excellence.
- Places of education can also use OS data to show their location, extent of campuses and/or the location and directions to an event organised by them. Our education licence covers fair and reasonable use for this type of data usage.
We’ve designed our licensing model so that OS data is free for students at the point of use. Places of education will only pay a fee to their chosen service provider to cover access to their service.
In return we ask that students, researchers, and those delivering teaching and learning, respect the copyright and data usage rules for OS data. Please acknowledge OS copyright. These rules will be set out in the service terms you will be asked to agree to.
Check you're eligible to use OS data
There are currently two Partners who provide services to access OS data: EDINA and Jisc Collections.
If you are a school, college or university interested in using OS data, you can check whether you’re eligible from the following links:
OS data for schools
- GB schools - schools in England and Wales and schools in Scotland. British Overseas schools may also be eligible - please check the gov.uk website and contact EDINA.
- EDINA Digimap for Schools service
OS data for colleges
OS data for universities
- Officially recognised colleges and universities - gov.uk
- EDINA Digimap Ordnance Survey collection
- Jisc geospatial data service
Contact EDINA or Jisc
Please contact EDINA or Jisc for information and help using their online services:
EDINA helpdesk: firstname.lastname@example.org / +44 (0)131 650 3302
Jisc helpdesk: email@example.com / +44 (0) 300 300 2212