Help with differentiating between road types

bjduncan
    • 20 October 2017 12:07PM
    • Visits: 0
    • Discussions: 1
    • Responses: 0
    • Last active: 20 October 2017 12:00PM

Hi,

I'm a newbie hobbyist, recently started working on a hobby project using OS VectorMap® District data to create a custom map (by importing ESRI shape data into QGIS, then exporting from QGIS as image files which I am then editing in Photoshop).

I'm using Vector data (rather than just stitching together Raster images) as I don't want all the text from those maps to be visible on my creation.

My problem - I would like to be able to differentiate between different road types (Motorways, A roads etc) in a similar way to the way they appear in the Raster maps - but I can't find a way to do this - in the Vector data they all just seem to appear as the same thing.

My question - is there any way to differentiate between different road types in the Vector data (or another way to achieve the same result)

Thanks!

2 responses

neilmcfadyen
      • 24 October 2017 07:51AM
      • Visits: 37
      • Discussions: 7
      • Responses: 26
      • Last active: 13 September 2018 07:40AM

It's well worth finding one or two online tutorials, there are lots out there. Basically, though -
      In QGIS choose 'Categorized' as style type in the layer properties dialogue for the Road layer.
      Selectthe VMD column 'classifica' as the column to use and click 'Classify'
      You can then adapt the style options to your preference.
      Save the Style you've set for future use.

Good introduction to vector data in QGIS here (with notes on symbology)
      http://docs.qgis.org/2.18/en/docs/gentle_gis_introduction/vector_attribute_data.html

Hope this helps, cheers

bjduncan
        • 24 October 2017 06:47PM
        • Visits: 0
        • Discussions: 1
        • Responses: 0
        • Last active: 20 October 2017 12:00PM

Thank you - this is exactly what I was after and really helpful

There may be responses for this discussion that are currently awaiting moderation and not visible yet.

Please login or sign-up to respond to this discussion.

© Ordnance Survey 2016