OS OpenSpace – ending one API era as we start a new one
When we launched OS OpenSpace back in 2008, it was our first venture into mapping APIs. 12 years on, there has been a lot of progression in this market. As a result, we plan to withdraw the OS OpenSpace API in August 2021 as we can now offer users a similar but more proficient product.
We want to thank everyone who has used this service. Without your support, we wouldn’t be where we are today with our new and exciting suite of APIs.
With a year until the withdrawal, we’ve outlined some of the options for users to migrate across to.
Why is OS OpenSpace being withdrawn?
The new Public Sector Geospatial Agreement (PSGA) signals the start of a new journey for OS with changes to the data we collect, how to access it, and how you can share information with others. As part of this journey, we are rationalising our suite of APIs and introducing some new ones, all accessible from our new data access platform, the OS Data Hub.
We built OS OpenSpace on top of OpenLayers 2.12, but we need to decouple this dependency so our maps can be used with any mapping library or GIS software.
What happens next?
Don’t worry, if you’re using OpenSpace you can continue using your maps and API keys until August 2021. We recommend that you migrate your maps before this date, so that you can continue using them on your website or in your applications without disruption.
Our product support page contains information about your options for migrating to a new API, including migration guides.
Want to try something new?
Signing up to the Hub will also give you access to the OS Vector Tile API (a Vector Tile Service), the OS Features API (a Web Feature Service) and more.
The OS OpenData API layers are always free and unlimited. Under the free monthly limit of the Premium Plan, you can use 30 million Premium map tiles per month at no cost.
Benefits of OS Maps API
- Free and unlimited use of the OS OpenData layers
- Choose from four map styles
- Two projections – choose British National Grid or Web Mercator
- OGC WMTS and ZXY – integrate with common mapping libraries
- Highly detailed mapping – OS MasterMap Topography Layer
- Leisure maps – 1:25 000 and 1:50 000 Scale Colour Rasters
Benefits of OS Data Hub
- Choose the right plan for you
- Manage your API keys and track usage on the Dashboard
- OS OpenData is free and unlimited
- £1,000 of free Premium data per month on the Premium Plan
- Access to a whole suite of APIs
- Technical documentation and code examples
- Community support