What OS MasterMap Building Height Attribute provides you with
Enhancement to OS MasterMap Topography Layer
Building Height Attribute is an enhancement to, and forms part of, OS MasterMap Topography Layer. It provides a set of height attributes with a buildings theme within OS MasterMap Topography Layer. It has further been enhanced with the inclusion of tanks, chimney stacks and glasshouses.
3D visualisations of buildings and structures
This product has been developed in response to customer demand for height information for buildings and select structures. It can be used to make simple 3D visualisations of buildings and structures and can be used to assist a range of analytical applications across both public and commercial sectors.
Used for energy and infrastructure
Building Height Attribute can be used to model heat loss, regulate requirements including high-rise gas safety, help with smart meter roll-out and analyse line of sight for small cell planning. It can also help to manage overhead cable routing and assist in planning and maintaining water pressure to high-rise properties.
Suitable for architects and development projects
This enhancement to OS MasterMap Topography Layer can also aid architects to visualise building designs early in the planning phase. It also models the impact of development projects rapidly and can help in emergency planning and risk assessment, by allowing the appropriate resources to be deployed more rapidly.
Suitable for Government use
The data can also be used by the government for modelling air pollution, siting solar panels, visualising planning applications in the context of surrounding buildings and also for urban density. Emergency services can also use it to know when and where to deploy specialist equipment.
Need more technical information?
Read product guides, technical specification and further documents and support.
- Use cases
It can be used to make simple 3D visualisations of buildings and structures to:
- model heat loss
- regulate requirements
- help with smart meter roll-out
- analyse line of sight for small cell planning
- manage overhead cable routing
- assist in planning and maintaining water pressure to high-rise properties
- visualise building designs early in the planning phase
- help in emergency planning and risk assessment
- model air pollution
- site solar panels
- visualise planning applications
- Data theme
- Data structure
- Vector - Polygons
- Great Britain
- 1:1250 to 1:10,000
- Ordering area
- All of Great Britain or customisable area (5km2 tiles)
- Publication months
- OS Data Hub plan
- Premium Plan
- Public Sector Plan
- Energy & Infrastructure Plan
Documents and Support
Getting started guides
- OS MasterMap Building Height Attribute - Getting started guideThe getting started guide provides instructions for using the product in different software applications. Users with limited technical knowledge will be able to follow this guide.v1.7675 kbDecember 12, 2021
- OS MasterMap Building Height Attribute - Technical specificationThe technical specification provides detailed technical information about the product. It is targeted at technical users and software developers.v1.4223 kbMarch 1, 2016
- OS MasterMap Building Height Attribute - OverviewThe overview introduces the product and gives context for all users. It highlights key features, provides examples of potential uses for the product and lists details like file sizes, supply formats, etc.v1.4704 kbOctober 1, 2020
- OS MasterMap Building Height Attribute - Release notesThis release note provides information about the latest release of OS MasterMap Building Height Attribute.v162.4 kbOctober 17, 2023
MasterMap Topography Layer enhancement
Building Height Attribute can be used to enhance the information obtained from OS MasterMap Topography Layer in a range of applications. It can also be integrated with other Ordnance Survey products such as OS Terrain® 5 and OS MasterMap Imagery Layer.
Get this product
What you get
- Key features
- Enhancement to OS MasterMap Topography Layer
- 3D visualisations of buildings and structures
- Used for energy and infrastructure
- Suitable for architects and development projects
- Suitable for Government use
- Data structure
- Vector - Polygons
- Update frequency
- Every six months
How to access
Ordnance Survey's commercial network of Partners can help you with bespoke location solutions, derived from OS data
Ranging from global giants to single entrepreneurs, our Partners all use our location data to create innovative products and services. Their expertise ensures customers can benefit from using our data for a range of services. Find a partner for topography mapping requirements.
Ready to get started with our data and APIs?
Choose your plan and create your account. Take the next step by signing up to the OS Data Hub and create your first project today.
Download Premium data from the OS Data Hub
If you're an OS Licensed Partner you can use the OS Data Hub to access OS data products and manage your account all in one place.
Government and public sector
OS Data Hub for PSGA members
If your organisation is a member of the Public Sector Geospatial Agreement, access the OS Data Hub to access our products.
Utilities and Telecoms
OS Connect support
Our Ordnance Survey Account Managers have specialist knowledge of projects for utilities and telecoms customers and should be your first point of contact for product enquiries.
For further help about how our data can transform your organisation, contact us todayContact us