The British Geological Survey (BGS) is responsible for advising the UK Government on all aspects of geoscience and provides impartial geological advice to industry, academia and the public.
What were the challenges?
- BGS has an advisory role and has a duty to provide access to the data it creates and the information that results from it.
- Providing an enquiry service which is the first point of contact for people who need to access information they haven’t been able to view for free through the BGS website or the apps.
- Dealing with thousands of enquiries each year, more than a quarter of which are for data, records or information about a particular location.
- Reviewing the existing address base services to see if any cost or efficiency savings could be made.
What was the solution?
OS Places has streamlined the provision of our web-based geo-services. We are now able to offer our customers site-specific geological assessment reports without the costly and time-consuming overhead of managing addressing software and data updates.Patrick Bell, Information Systems Team Leader, British Geological Survey
BGS has developed a Geo Reports service to improve the management of site specific geological enquiries.
The automated service lets customers request information about the geology and ground conditions at a particular location. It already utilises many OS datasets including raster data at 1:10 000, 1:25 000 and 1:50 000 scales, OS Street View®, and VectorMap® Local and District. In 2014 BGS also introduced the OS Places API.
OS Places streamlined the provision of BGS web-based geo-services. They are now able to offer their customers site-specific geological assessment reports without the costly and time-consuming overhead of managing addressing software and data updates.
What were the outcomes?
- The API provides access to AddressBase® Plus and AddressBase Premium at a fraction of the cost of the existing system in place.
- Searches in real time the most comprehensive address database in Great Britain – with over 39 million entries.
- It saves BGS time not having to manage the system which stores it.
- Rock-solid reliable address data delivered at lightning fast speeds.