What were the challenges?
- Meeting the rising costs of waste disposal.
- Making savings to waste management processes across the Borough.
- Creating more efficient collection rounds to deliver cost savings.
- Continuing to effectively deliver services to 123,000 residential properties.
What was the solution?
OS MasterMap Integrated Transport Network Layer; OS Street View and OS MasterMap Topography Layer are imported into route optimisation software Webaspx, together with Local Land and Property Gazetteer (LLPG) and other council data sets such as round pick rates and tip locations.
The Council uses the Batec Waste Collector system in the cabs. This, combined with OS data, allows the control room to track the vehicles’ positions, and what has been completed in a live environment. Homes not putting their bins out are also monitored, which allows the council to deal with complaints of missed collections more effectively.
By using OS products, Bolton Council not only get highly refined, highly accurate rounds, but are also able to accurately estimate mileages, plot fuel stations and track the best fuel prices.
What were the outcomes?
- Estimated savings of £400k per year.
- Saving of four vehicles in the first year.
- Allows the Council to plan in any new developments and add these to existing rounds or create new ones. Properties can be accounted for up to a year before any collections are made.
- New ways of working can be planned and assessed before being put into a live environment.
- Bartec system allows the council to deal with complaints more efficiently.
- Rounds are done on a zonal basis, which allows the council to collect both landfill and recycled waste fortnightly.