What were the challenges?
- This hasn’t been tried before on such a scale in Scotland.
- Choosing the roads where the 20mph speed limit should apply.
- Informing decision makers and the public about the new lower limits.
What was the solution?
Edinburgh City Council used OS mapping data, free through the OSMA, to create visuals for a major public consultation. This let citizens of Edinburgh give their views alongside key stakeholders such as Lothian Buses and Police Scotland. With positive response from the consultation, Councillors approved the project. During its delivery over the next two years, the Council will use a web map and other supporting materials to keep stakeholders informed.
What were the outcomes?
- Mapping products support this programme – the first of its kind in Scotland.
- Easy-to-understand maps, with accurate spatial information, helped generate a positive response to the public consultation.
- The Council can update maps to keep stakeholders informed during the roll out.