Seeing the wood from the trees
Many organisations and individuals require specific geographical information relating to Scotland’s rural landscape. Now an effective web-based mapping application has been developed by Forestry Commission Scotland and partners, providing people in the rural community with efficient and detailed access to large volumes of data - saving time, effort and money.
- To make information on Scotland’s forests and rural areas available to anyone with a vested interest.
- To take vast amounts of data and present them in an accessible way.
- To facilitate planning applications from land owners or agents planning to undertake forest operations or future land based developments.
- To make data available to the general public concerned about recreational activities and environmental issues.
- To identify relevant designations and land use constraints.
Forestry Commission Scotland (FCS) in partnership with Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) and the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) developed an effective web application – the Land Information Search (LIS). The interactive application is delivered through Scotland’s Environment website and funded through the EU Life+ programme. LIS allows users to run geographic searches and receive reports on environmental issues within their area of interest.
- Effectively communicates large volumes of geographic data in a clear and intuitive way.
- Highlights potential land use application issues, saving applicants time and money.
- Reduces FCS, SNH and the Rural Payments and Inspection Division staff time spent on proposal applications.
- Provides a framework for other relevant data sets, increasing the versatility of the application.
- Excellent example of effective cross-government body collaboration in the Scottish public sector.
- Easier for residents to convey locations.
- Quicker for engineers to locate issues.
Why choose Ordnance Survey data?
The One Scotland Mapping Agreement (OSMA) can give you access to a range of mapping datasets which are free at your point of use, helping you drive down costs by harnessing data more effectively.