Gateshead Council had to look at ways to make their Waste Management Services more efficient. Using PSMA (Public Sector Mapping Agreement) data from OS, the council introduced route optimisation, and as a result has seen significant savings in time, money and resources.
What were the challenges?
- Making efficiencies in waste management services.
- Dealing with the collection of both residual waste and recycling.
- Maintaining a good service to 90,000 properties in the Council Borough.
What was the solution?
Gateshead Council chose RouteSmart route optimisation software from Integrated Software Solutions Limited. This was following a recommendation by neighbouring Newcastle City Council who had seen significant savings in their waste management and gritting. The base mapping from RouteSmart was used in conjunction with OS’s Integrated Transport Network (ITN) product and rounds were looked at and fine-tuned accordingly.
What were the outcomes?
- £400,000 per year saved by the Council.
- Service vehicles reduced by four – reduction in carbon emissions.
- Compressed working week for employees allows better work-life balance.
- Less public disruption thanks to redesign of rounds.
- The combination of software and data means the future analysis of population increases can identify tipping points of the current rounds at an early stage.
- Recycling levels have risen significantly following the new Service vehicle numbers were reduced, arrangements. leading to a reduction in carbon emissions. The essential OS tools