INCREASING EFFICIENCY AND SAVINGS
Reporting streetlight or pavement issues and locating them can be time consuming for both the general public and the Borough of Poole Council staff. By introducing a new online reporting tool, which contains mapping to locate a specific concern, the council has increased the number of website users and become more efficient, while saving money.
- Improving the accuracy of location reporting.
- Simplifying the process of reporting a problem.
- Making it easier for the public to pinpoint the location of an issue.
- Reducing the amount of repeat calls due to difficulties explaining the location.
MapThat’s ‘Report It’ platform, was installed, allowing residents to chart incidents on a map through the council’s website. The software uses OS MasterMap Topography Layer, large-scale, highly-detailed mapping, to enable residents to easily and accurately locate particular issues regarding roads, pavements or streetlights. Reports are then distributed to engineers to resolve.
- More residents using the website and mapping tool to report defects.
- Less call costs spent dealing with issues, saving the council around £5,000 a year.
- Less time spent by front desk staff trying to understand issues.
- Easier for residents to convey locations.
- Quicker for engineers to locate issues
- Approximately 40% of reports previously submitted online; the figure is now over 50%.
- Residents' feedback indicates that ‘Report It’ is much simpler to use.