Dubai Municipality is responsible for helping realise the Dubai government vision, ‘to make Dubai the happiest city on Earth’.
Its focus is on areas such as urban planning, safety and security, sustainable development and environmental protection – all of which rely on geospatial data.
Ordnance Survey (OS) undertook a Geospatial Maturity Assessment to identify the next steps that Dubai Municipality needed to take to support the government’s pursuit of citizen happiness.
- Dubai Municipality needed to assume a leadership role within the geospatial sector to help inform government decision-making, and the achievement of long-term goals, such as community happiness.
- The Municipality needed a reliable geospatial infrastructure and accurate and authoritative geospatial data to ensure success in running both a municipality, and a nation.
- Dubai Municipality was required to deliver new technologies – such as 5G, Smart Cities and the Internet of Things – driven by geospatial infrastructure and data.
- GIS teams needed to strengthen their strategic capabilities, to provide expert support and help maximise stakeholder satisfaction.
- Ordnance Survey completed a Geospatial Maturity Assessment, to see how geospatial data was being specified, collected, managed, used, distributed and updated.
- We conducted a comprehensive analysis of existing policies, operations and data sharing.
- We delivered an 800-page report of objective and robust advice, recommendations and deliverables required to enable Dubai Municipality to move to the next stage of geospatial maturity.
- We developed a new platform-independent data model and specification which avoids technology lock-in, maximises data sharing and future-proofs their geospatial operations.
- We implemented a quality assurance process, optimised for both efficiency and effectiveness, with sustainability and reassurance built in.
- We recommended a suitable mechanism to ensure 3D features set out by the Smart Dubai government and stakeholders are captured, maintained and integrated.
- Shared our subject matter expertise to make sure that deep specialist knowledge flows through to Dubai Municipality’s professional and technical experts, strengthening relationships and building sustainable support networks.
"The GISC and Ordnance Survey share the same vision of thriving to provide high value geospatial services to the stakeholders and community. Working with OS, we developed a robust roadmap to target future activities and investments to ensure the GISC meets the requirements of all stakeholders."Eng Maryam Obaid Almheiri, Director of GIS Centre, Dubai Municipality
Dubai Municipality is positively positioned to meet the needs of the Smart Dubai government and its stakeholders.
Growing the Municipality’s leadership status within the Emirate, by providing them with the potential to deliver significant societal, environmental and economic benefits.
Empowering Dubai Municipality to move to the next stage of their geospatial maturity and help progress the Smart Dubai mission for community happiness.