- Last Updated: April 2015
1. Who does this policy apply to?
This policy applies to Ordnance Survey Limited and its group companies (we, us, our).
2. When does this policy apply?
3. For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998, we are the Data Controller
Information we collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
3.1 Information you give us (Submitted information):
- You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our Sites and/or Services, or by corresponding with us (for example, by e-mail or chat). This includes information you provide when you register to use our Sites and/or Services, make an in-app purchase, share data via an App's social media functions, enter a competition, promotion or survey, and when you report a problem with our Sites and/or Services, or any of our Apps. The information you give us (or our permitted suppliers) may include your name, address, age, e-mail address and telephone number, the Device's telephone number, your username for our Sites and/or Services, password and any other registration information, financial and credit card information, personal profile description and photograph.
3.2 Information we collect about you and your device (Device information):
Each time you visit or use our Sites and/or Services, we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the type of mobile device you use, a unique device identifier (for example, your Device's IMEI number, the MAC address of the Device's wireless network interface, or the mobile phone number used by the Device), mobile network information, your mobile operating system, the type of mobile browser you use, and/or time zone setting;
- details of your use of any of our Apps or your visits to any of our Sites and/or Services including, but not limited to, Internet protocol (IP) address used by your Device, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access(Log Information);
- URL click stream information showing how users have reached our Site and/or Services and whether they access other third party sites via any external links.
3.3 Information we collect from third parties (Third Party Information):
- We may receive information from other sources, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, and/or credit reference agencies.
3.4 Location information:
- We may use GPS technology or other technology to determine your current location. Some of our location-enabled Services require your location data for the feature to work. If you wish to use the particular feature, you will be asked to consent to your data being used for this purpose.
- You can withdraw your consent to determine your current location at any time through your Device setting.
4. How we use your information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- Provide you with personalised access to our mapping data;
- Provide you access to personalised areas of OS Maps, online Shop;
- Fulfil online payments or orders for any products you purchase through our online services;
- Respond to your enquiries and complaints;
- Carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- Provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
- Provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with newsletters, promotions and other information about goods or services we feel may interest you if you have consented to such communications. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please indicate this on the form on which we collect your data or in accordance with section 8 below; and
- Notify you about changes to our service.
- To administer our Site and/or Services for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- To improve our Site and/or Services to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your Device;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Sites and/or Service, when you choose to do so;
- As part of our efforts to keep our Sites and/or Services safe and secure;
- To determine which features your Device supports which assists our development strategy
- Track the success of our products and services;
- Monitor data traffic and any patterns of use;
- Track the success of our marketing activity;
- To ask you to review our products and services.
- We may use location information to provide certain functionality to you as part of our Sites and/or Service.
- Third Party Information: We exchange information with third parties for the purposes of providing our Site and/or Service to you.
We may associate any category of information with any other category of information and will treat the combined information as personal data in accordance with this policy for as long as it is combined.
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our suppliers, but we may provide them with anonymous aggregate information about our users (for example, we may inform them that, for example, 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day).
5. Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the Companies Act 2006.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal or regulatory obligation or request.
In order to:
- protect the rights, property or safety of our group companies, our suppliers and/or our customers. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- We will provide your personal data to third party suppliers to the extent they need the data to perform their functions and for no other purpose. These include:
- fulfilling orders for online mapping;
- fulfilling online payments;
- administering our customer emailing lists;
- administering our customer feedback service.
6. Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions carried out by us or our chosen payment processing services provider will be encrypted. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password that enables you to access certain parts of our Sites and/or Service, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Sites and/or Services; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will take appropriate measures to try to prevent unauthorised access.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at Customer Services, Ordnance Survey, Explorer House, Adanac Drive, Southampton SO16 0AS or email@example.com.
Our Sites and/or Services may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates (including, but not limited to, websites on which the App or the Services are advertised). If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites and any services that may be accessible through them have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies or for any personal data that may be collected through these websites or services, such as contact and location data. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites or use these services.
7. Access to information
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to access to personal information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with that Act. Details on how to submit a Subject Access Request can be found on our data protection page.
8. Retaining your information and unsubscribing
- If you do not want us to retain any of your data, please let us know by post or by email using the contact details at the end of this policy.
- You can unsubscribe from our newsletters and emails by the following methods:
- using the ‘unsubscribe’ button displayed on our emails; or
- if you have an account with us, by changing your email preferences on your account; or
- by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org asking us to unsubscribe you; or by writing to Customer Services, Ordnance Survey, Explorer House, Adanac Drive, Southampton SO16 0AS.
- We will store your personal data for no longer than necessary to fulfil the contract or service we provide to you. We may retain your personal data for a reasonable period afterward to allow us to respond to any follow-up enquiries or complaints, or for as long as you remain a registered user of our products and services.
9. Data security
- Once it is within our control, we ensure your personal data is kept confidential by storing it on our secure systems or taking other appropriate measures to ensure that it remains private.
- The security of your data is outside our control until we have received it. Transmission of data to us via the internet may not be secure.
10. Changing this policy
Ordnance Survey and/or Ordnance Survey International:
Call: 03456 05 05 05 (Monday - Friday: 8.30am-5.30pm - call charges apply)
Post: Customer Services, Ordnance Survey, Explorer House, Adanac Drive, Southampton, SO16 0AS
Ordnance Survey Leisure Limited:
Call: 03454 56 04 20 (Monday - Friday: 8.30am-5.30pm – call charges apply)
Post: Ordnance Survey Leisure, Customer Services, Explorer House, Adanac Drive, Southampton, SO16 0AS