OS Opendata: Paths, tracks and OS Grid lines

Slioch
    • 3 March 2018 10:58PM
    • Visits: 2
    • Discussions: 1
    • Responses: 0
    • Last active: 15 May 2018 07:58PM

Hi,

I apologise if this question has been asked elsewhere and i've missed it, and for the newbie questions. I am looking to create maps of remote areas of Scotland. I've downloaded QGIS and am making it up as I go along...

I've started with OS Terrain 50 as a base, and added layers using some of the other free products such as Open Roads, Open Rivers, Vector District, etc to get rivers, lochs, woodland, roads, buildings and "ornaments" on the hills. So far so good.

For what I want to do, I am expecting to get the map to a point in QGIS, then annotate it with locations and features that I want in Photoshop or equivalent.

However, I was wondering if anyone knew of a source that would allow me to add a layer with paths and tracks (specifically in the mountains), and OS Grid lines. this would clearly save me a bit of time and accuracy! I'm just wondering if I've overlooked it, or it's something that needs to be paid for.

Many thanks.

3 responses

jafannon
      • 6 March 2018 05:32PM
      • Visits: 7
      • Discussions: 3
      • Last active: 9 April 2018 01:08PM

Hi

Unfortunately, OS doesn't currently make rights of way (paths/tracks etc) available as open data. You may be able to obtain these from local authorities, but many don't make them available under an OGL.

Similar path/track information is available in OpenStreetMap, but I'm not sure of the coverage in the areas you need.

For OS grid lines, you should be able to create these yourself in QGIS using the Create Grid tool (Processing > Toolbox > Vector Creation Tools > Create Grid. You will need to specify the grid extent (e.g. 1000 x 1000 for a grid equivalent to an Explorer map) and the CRS and 27700 (British National Grid).

There are some youtube clips available - just search for 'qgis create grid'.

Hope that helps.

John

Slioch
        • 7 March 2018 03:47PM
        • Visits: 2
        • Discussions: 1
        • Last active: 15 May 2018 07:58PM

Hi John,

Many thanks for your response. I had figured that was probably the case with paths and tracks, but thought it was worth asking. I will give the Create Grid Tool a go.

cheers

rob
        • rob
        • Rating: 11 points Novice
          • 15 May 2018 12:48PM
          • Visits: 61
          • Discussions: 10
          • Responses: 19
          • Last active: 15 May 2018 12:46PM

For England and Wales, take a look at http://www.rowmaps.com where Barry Cornelius has done an amazing job aggregating right-of-way data from those local authorities (current 110) that make the data available under an appropriate open license

Please login or sign-up to respond to this discussion.

© Ordnance Survey 2016