Harrow Council’s Route Optimisation Project aims to use Ordnance Survey (OS) data to drive efficiencies while enhancing local services.
In partnership with Capita, Harrow Council’s latest ‘Route Optimisation Project’ aims to deliver improved Special Needs Transport (SNT) services while saving £300,000 every year by using route optimisation techniques and Ordnance Survey data.
This case study explains how the solution reduced the number of vehicles used, saved fuel, and optimised driver numbers.
The logistical challenges
Harrow Council’s SNT service provides transport to residents of any age. It uses 95 vehicles and 320 staff to transport residents to and from their places of education, with each vehicle requiring a driver and an escort.
However, many of these posts were ﬁlled on an agency basis and vehicles hired (including the use of taxis).
- The Council needed to remove unnecessary trips and part-ﬁlled vehicles. This involved a review of routes and stafﬁng as well as taking a closer look at their use of private hire vehicles to ﬁll unmet demand.
One of the core principles was that the SNT service should operate with a single budget, a single ﬂeet and a single workforce, making it work more efficiently by sharing resources wherever possible.
By using OS MasterMap Integrated Transport Network (ITN) Layer data and Mobisoft’s transport planning solutions, Harrow Council was able to redeﬁne the optimal routes for its customers. Buses can now be routed more efﬁciently, meaning seven vehicles have since been removed from the ﬂeet.
The selected back ofﬁce system was able to consume ITN data and handle client details including addresses sourced from the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG). These combined allowed constant route optimisation as clients’ details and needs changed.
"The Special Needs Transport project enabled signiﬁcant tangible beneﬁts to be delivered in operating this service whilst optimising routes. The project's wider aims resulted in making a better service for Harrow residents."Ghan Varsani, Programme Director, Capita.
The data driven benefits
- Total of £290,000 annual savings.
- Better vehicle and staff management from reducing the number of hire vehicles and agency staff.
- Bus fleet reduced by seven vehicles.
- Projected ten-year project saving of £980,000.
- £11,000 annual fuel savings from nearly 100,000 fewer miles driven.
- A greener service: reduced carbon emissions and new low carbon-emission vehicles.
OS MasterMap Highways Network - Roads
OS MasterMap® Highways Network is the most complete, detailed and accurate navigable road network dataset for Great Britain. It records the dimensions and accessibility of roads.
OS MasterMap Topography Layer
OS MasterMap Topography Layer® is the most detailed and accurate view of Great Britain's landscape – from roads to fields, to buildings and trees, fences, paths and more.