A Unique Street Reference Number (USRN) is a unique and persistent identifier for every street, road, track, path, cycle track or cycle way in Great Britain.
Our OS Open USRN product contains USRNs for England and Wales. They are the authoritative identifier assigned to and uniquely identifying streets and are essential for managing Great Britain's Highways.
OS Open USRN will enable you to start sharing and linking together information about USRNs which you can visualise with a location. Watch our OS Open USRN introduction video.
All USRNs present in OS MasterMap Highways Network, are also included in this product – so you can be sure you’re not missing out.
This product currently contains USRNs for England and Wales. We plan to expand OS Open USRN to include Scottish data in March 2021.
The USRNs in OS Open USRN are allocated by Highway or Road Authorities and Highway Bodies, under their statutory responsibility to maintain this information. This means you can have confidence you’re accessing an authoritative source of these identifiers.
Identifiers you can trust
The USRN is never re-used, once its allocated to a street record, it will never change or be reused.
Regularly updated & easy to access
OS Open USRN is updated monthly aligned to OS MasterMap Highways Network products. Available in GeoPackage and designed as a simple data structure to help you get started quickly.
|Key Features||What this product offers|
|Attributes||USRN, Street Type, Geometry|
|Scale||1:15 000 – 1:25 000|
|Update frequency||Monthly in line with OS MasterMap Highways Network|
|Coverage||England and Wales|
OS Open USRN is available under the following licence:
Our open data products are covered by the Open Government Licence (OGL), which allows you to:
- copy, distribute and transmit the data;
- adapt the data; and
- exploit the data commercially, whether by sub-licensing it, combining it with other data, or including it in your own product or application.
We simply ask that you acknowledge the copyright and the source of the data by including the following attribution statement:
- Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021
- Where you use Code-Point Open data, you must also use the following attribution statements:
- Contains Royal Mail data © Royal Mail copyright and Database right 2021
- Contains National Statistics data © Crown copyright and database right 2021