Survey and Land Registration Bureau (SLRB) is a government organisation responsible for all survey activities (including base mapping, boundary and hydrographic) and registering properties in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
3D data supports Kingdom-wide analysis and decision-making
What were the challenges?
- Providing stakeholders with relevant data underpinning government, business and public services.
- Preparing for the ‘National 3D Mapping of Bahrain’ programme.
- Moving SLRB’s geospatial database to an object-based data model, giving full 3D geometric representation.
What was the solution?
I am delighted to see Ordnance Survey International, the global leader in mapping and a tremendous example of UK commercial and technical excellence, developing a mutually beneficial partnership with the SLRB. It gives a further boost to UK/Bahrain commercial relations, which is in the interests of both countries.— Iain Lindsay OBE, British Ambassador to the Kingdom of Bahrain
- We worked closely with SLRB and key stakeholders to identify what was needed for the new data model.
- To support effective data sharing across stakeholders, we provided visibility of existing datasets and maintenance requirements.
- The new data model was built to Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC®) and International Organization for Standardization (ISO) industry standards.
What was the outcome?
The data model was finished in November 2013, resulting in:
- Intelligent data for effective analysis and decision-making.
- Greater consistency in the way SLRB maintains data and distributes it to stakeholders.
- A better position for SLRB to achieve its objective of providing government, the private sector and individuals with intelligent geospatial data to support the ‘National 3D Mapping of Bahrain’ programme.
A five-year framework agreement was also signed, for collaborating on a number of future projects. The first of these is developing a new long-term strategy to help SLRB establish itself as the authoritative cadastral and mapping authority for the Kingdom of Bahrain.
What are the benefits?
The 3D-enabled national spatial data model:
3D data model of Bahrain
- Uses open standards to provide a consistent approach to maintaining, distributing and sharing data.
- Underpins the development of national and regional policies by providing consistent and reliable 2D and 3D data.
- Supports the establishment of new innovative services using geospatial data.
- Contributes to data sharing across Government and towards eGovernment, improved economies, Smart Cities and an informed public.
How we can help you
If you'd like to speak to us about our consultancy and support internationally, call us on:
+44 (0) 3456 05 05 05.
We can also offer a geospatial maturity assessment to help you understand how mature your organisation is and where you need to be.
More about our international work:
- Creating strategy and vision for overseas national mapping agencies
- Improving map generalisation ready for the 2016 Brazilian Olympics
- Running a safe and secure major national event – with geospatial information
- Helping customers understand the use of open standards within spatial data models
- Using geospatial support to safeguard the environment for future generations
- Location-based data provides a mine of information for Ethiopia