The Environment Agency – Abu Dhabi (EAD) is a government agency committed to protecting and enhancing the environment as well as maintaining and promoting the biodiversity of the Emirate’s desert and marine ecosystem.
For global sustainability we need comprehensive, consistent and accessible information about the environment where we live. To deliver this, EAD began a comprehensive geospatial transformation programme to further develop the environmental geospatial maturity of the Agency and the Emirate. We successfully created a GIS Roadmap to support the Emirate’s 2030 national Environmental Vision, providing a single source of accurate, reliable environmental information for decision making.
What were the challenges?
- Raising environmental awareness, facilitating sustainable development and keeping environmental issues at the top of the national agenda for the ultimate benefit of the citizens of the Emirate.
- Working with data which wasn’t always accessible, complete or consistent.
- Establishing a reliable, credible and authoritative ‘single version of the truth’ to underpin effective environmental decision making at regional, Emirate and local level.
- Establishing Abu Dhabi as one of the top five environmentally sustainable nations in the world through The Abu Dhabi 2030 Environmental Vision.
What was the solution?
- We worked with EAD to develop a GIS Roadmap containing information on all GI-related activities needed for the EAD to meet wider objectives.
- The Roadmap provides EAD with a detailed structured plan to help the Agency capture, maintain and analyse environmental information across the Emirate in support of the 2030 Vision.
- A total of 52 initiatives were agreed, which when delivered, will establish EAD as a visionary and cutting edge organisation within the global environmental community.
What was the outcome?
- The Roadmap was developed and delivered in under 10 weeks and was completed in April 2015. Created in accordance with the ‘GIS Roadmap Framework’, prepared and mandated by the Abu Dhabi Systems and Information Centre (ADSIC), the Roadmap aligns with Abu Dhabi Government policy and EAD’s Corporate Strategy and Environmental Information Management Strategy (EIMS).
- OSI and EAD engaged with stakeholders to ensure that the final Roadmap was sustainable, forward-looking and relevant.
- Stakeholders from across the Emirate came together to exchange ideas, share thinking and contribute ideas to develop a Roadmap which reflects the current and future needs of the stakeholder community.
- This ground-breaking approach to establishing a single and shared vision for change means the Roadmap is truly fit-for-the-future.
What were the benefits?
Implementing the Roadmap will:
- Provide a single source of accurate, reliable environmental information for decision making.
- Ensure EAD’s Geospatial Information Technology and Systems (GITS) conform to the highest level in ADSIC’s geomaturity assessment.
- Help set goals, targets and KPIs to measure the progress and success of GIS across EAD.
- Help share geospatial information with key stakeholders.
- Improve consistency and quality of geospatial data capture, processing, analysis and dissemination.
- Ensure the right data/information is available at the right time to the right people supporting strategic and operational decision making.
How we can help you
To find out more about our consultancy and support internationally, please contact us at:
internationalenquiries@.os.uk or call +44 (0)3456 050505.
We can also offer a geospatial maturity assessment to help you understand how mature your organisation is and where you need to be.