Become more consistent, speed up production, and improve your national mapping data products with automated data and map generalisation.
Map generalisation – or cartographic generalisation – is the process of making smaller-scale maps from larger-scale geospatial data. Until recently mapping agencies have done this manually, but Ordnance Survey has now developed a completely automated production process, our Automated Product Creation service.
Manually generalising geospatial datasets isn’t easy:
- It’s a highly manual production process and means more potential for mistakes and inconsistency.
- High volumes of data are required in different formats.
- Manual production requires high levels of quality control.
- The currency of the data is affected.
Manual map generalisation techniques takes up time and resources. However, automating the process delivers a host of advantages:
- No more manual input, freeing up production resources to innovate.
- Data is more accurate and up-to-date: you'll reduce production time and increase your speed to market, giving your customers even more value from the data.
- Improved production and product quality through processing data. The Automated Product Creation service takes care of partitioning, edge-matching and creating national and change-only updates datasets.
- Increased consistency and quality of data output: perfect for both contextual and analytical products.
- Consistent and current data enables the creation of a consistent zoom-stack at a variety of resolutions.
Improve your generalisation process with Ordnance Survey's Automated Product Creation Service
We can help generalise your data for you, working with you from start to finish. Just provide us with a sample of large scale data and we will supply you with smaller scale datasets ready for you distribute to your customers.
We developed a 100% automated derived map production for Great Britain’s national dataset and have worked with work-flow automation for almost 20 years, successfully automating our own products time and time again.
Get access to our experienced geospatial engineers. We’ll work with you to:
- Improve data modelling for derived output.
- Deliver scale and performance production for large volumes (national coverage) of data.
- Develop and implement distributed processing in the cloud.
Your relevant location data is securely stored in the cloud – we don’t process or store any data on our premises.
Our track record
We understand how important automated geospatial dataset production is for modern national mapping agencies.
Following years of research into automated generalisation, Ordnance Survey has invested in an automated workflow for fast processing of geospatial information.
- Learn more about fast automation for polygon datasets (PDF)
We have also automated a national scale dataset, with the ability to update nearly half a billion features in less than 12 days.
Speak to our geospatial experts
Want to improve your generalisation processes? Get in touch and we can help you.