You have the right to access information held by public bodies like us that is not routinely available from other sources. This is laid out in the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
This covers our recorded information held on computers, emails, reports, databases, photographs, or even sound and video recordings.
We take our responsibilities under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) 2004 seriously.
Not all of the requests we have received have been published here, since many are of a similar nature. In exceptional circumstances (for instance, where we are involved in an ongoing legal dispute with the requester) we may not publish certain responses. We do not publish personal data of the requestor.
Freedom of Information requests and responses
1. Temporary and Permanent Agency Recruitment - FOI231129
2. Malicious email volume - FOI231130
3. Cyber policy / insurance - FOI231131
4. Customer Centre, CRM, AI and Automation - FOI231132
5. Telephony, Communication tools and Storage - FOI231133
6. WAN, LAN and internet connectivity - FOI231134
7. ICT and Procurement plans and strategy - FOI231135
8. Contact with tobacco industry - FOI231136
7. IBM Qradar contract - FOI231137
8. AA copyright breach settlement - FOI231143
9. Land surface change data - FOI231140
10. Miles/km of public rights of way in England and Wales - FOI231141
11. Temporary labour usage - FOI231145
12. Cloud Infrastructure - FOI231146
13. Survey data/GPS location points - FOI231150
14. Yellow road changed to white road - FOI231151
15. How much greenspace land broken down into categories - FOI231152
16. Length of bus, ferry, rail routes - FOI231153
17. Air pollutant inventory from transport sources in Tyne and Wear 2016 - FOI231156
18. Annual income from sale of hard-copy maps, subscriptions to website and app services - FOI231158
19. Corporate Estate Managing Maintenance - FOI231161
20. Number of IT devices, plans to refresh IT / software / security / Data & Analytics - FOI231163
21. Telephone/Broadband/WAN contracts - FOI231164
22. ComputaCenter Contract - FOI231165
23. Contract details of mobile phone network providers - FOI231167
24. Invoices not paid within 30 days FYs 2017/2018-2022/23 - FOI231168
25. Trig file Marros Beacon - FOI231169
26. E-Commerce Support and Maintenance Contract - FOI231170
27. CCTV Maintenance & Support Contract - FOI231174
28. Invoices not paid within 30 days - FOI231176
29. Electricity and gas use costs - FOI231181
30. Tender information for Project - Enterprise Design for PSGA - FOI231186
31. Tender information for Project - Search and Merchandising Tool, Notice Reference - IT-556-65-TS2609.2023 - FOI231187
32. Tender information for Project - PSGA Communications Consultancy Services - FOI231188
33. Total number of road name changes - FOI231189
34. Financial Solutions Procurement plan - FOI231190
1. Local Area Network Environment Contracts - FOI221059
2. Number of lost or stolen devices - FOI221060
3. Number of malicious emails blocked - FOI221061
4. Losses and special payments - FOI221062
5. Social media spend - FOI221063
6. Welsh place names - FOI221064
7. Metadata for unbuilt roads - FOI221065
8. Information relating to a Trig Point - FOI221067
9. Bidders on Promotional Merchandise ITT - FOI221068
10. Cleaning contract - FOI221069
11. Customer Contact Centre contract - FOI221070
12. Telephony, broadband, WAN contract - FOI221071
13. List of largest islands - FOI221075
14. Surface area of Plymouth - FOI221076
15. Ownership and control of River Delph - FOI221077
16. Number of FOI requests refused as the information is already in a paid for publication - FOI221078
17. Mobile Phone contracts - FOI221081
18. Contracts Register - FOI221082
19. Road name changes - FOI221083
20. Archaeological information for Pynes Cross - FO221084
21. Number of ICT devices and plans to refresh ICT devices and software - FOI221085
22. ICT outsourcing - FOI221092
23. Cloud Hosting Contracts - FOI221093
24. Postcodes for the Isle of Man and Channel Islands - FOI221096
25. Contractual Homeworkers - FOI221102
26. Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Expenditure - FOI221104
27. Surveyors Report - FOI221105
28. Social Media Management - FOI221106
29. Cloud Hosting Contracts - FOI221107
30. ICT Contracts - FOI221110
31. Historic Sierra Leone mapping - FOI221111
32. Historical Mapping- FOI221112
33. Committee meeting technology contract information - FOI221113
34. Name and contact details of senior IT staff - FOI221114
35. Code-Point with polygons contract value - FOI221115
36. Communications and record of changes to Aldershot and Surrey Commons - FOI221116
37. Customer Centre and inbound network contracts - FOI221118
38. SAR request statistics - FOI221120
39. Staff numbers and wages bill - FOI221121
40. Specification for capture of buildings - FOI221123
41. Parliamentary Constituencies in GIS format 1974 - 1979 - FOI221124
42. Number of communication staff and spend - FOI221126
43. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion staff, training and budgets - FOI221127
44. Restrictions placed on Councils when using OS maps for planning - FOI221128
- Mobile phone contracts (FOI21980)
- Request for a copy of the book titled Electoral and Administrative Boundaries 1841-201 (FOI21982).
- Cost of a single seat licence of AddressBase direct from OS(FOI21983)
- Furlough of staff and the Job Retention Scheme in 2020 (FOI21984)
- Consultancy Services Tender (FOI21985)
- Slavery and forced labour policy (FOI21986)
- Unconscious bias training (FOI21987)
- Local Election Boundaries (FOI21989)
- List of post boxes in Great Britain and their co-ordinates (FOI21991).
- List of ponds in Great Britain and their respective co-ordinates (FOI21992)
- List of advertising hoarding in Great Britain and their respective co-ordinates (FOI21993).
- Hosting Contracts (FOI21999).
- Employment records from late 1890's to early 1900's.
- Archaeology shown on our mapping (FOI211001)
- Cyber security services and contracts (FOI211003).
- Central Government fleet emissions (EIR211004).
- Pay Agreement (FOI211007).
- Printers and print consumables (FOI211008).
- Payments made to a company (FOI211013).
- Technologies used for HR, Payroll, L&D, Finance, Procurement and Contact Centre (FOI211015).
- Confidential waste contract (FOI211016).
- ICT expenditure (FOI211019)
- OS Leisure Ltd a licensed partner (FOI211020).
- OS Leisure Ltd Framework Contract for Partners (FOI211025)
- Payments made to charities and third sector organisations (FOI211032).
- Ransomware incidents (FOI211034).
- Gaming App Development and Operations contract (FOI211035).
- Allotment site data in UK (FOI211036).
- Total number of requests and correspondence received by OS (FOI211038).
- Container technology (FOI211039).
- Ransomware attacks (FOI211040).
- Records relating to the late history of Cyprus (FOI211041).
- Printers and Print suppliers (FOI211042).
9. Energy use
15. IT suppliers
16. HR employees
More about FoI requests
How to make a Freedom of Information request
The Information Commissioner’s Office has a useful guide: how to access information from a public body which provides useful information to consider when making a request.
Before making a request for information make sure you view our range of resources on our website first, for example, information relating to boundaries can be found here: Property boundary maps | OS Tools & Support (ordnancesurvey.co.uk) Where the information is not available on our website requests for general information such as enquires relating to our Products, Services, Licenses, Press Releases, boundary and mapping enquiries, should be directed to our Customer Service Centre, please go to our Contact us page.
If you are unable to find the information you require, you can make a request for recorded information under the Freedom of Information Act using the contact form below.
Please make sure you:
- Make your request in writing (via our contact form below, or by post).
- Are specific about the recorded information you require.
- Include your full name and email, or postal address so that we can reply in full.
- State in your application if you prefer your information in a particular format.
Most requests for information are free of charge. However if we estimate the cost of locating, retrieving and extracting the information will take more than 18 working hours, your request could be chargeable. In this case, we will endeavour to agree a way forward to bring the request below 18 hours. If this proves not possible, the request will be refused on grounds of disproportionate cost, or we will issue a Fees Notice in accordance with the Act.
In most cases we shall waive our right to charge for disbursements such as printing, photocopying and postage costs. If we do decide to charge for disbursements a Fees Notice will be issued.
You will have three months in which to pay the fee and the 20 working days allowed to respond to requests will not begin until the fee is paid.
If you do not agree with our decision on charging, you can ask the Information Commissioner to intervene.
Please note that information supplied under the Freedom of Information Act may be subject to Crown Copyright. As such, re-use may require a licence for which a separate fee may be charged. If you have any questions about permitted use of the information we supply, please contact us using the form below.
What happens next?
We will advise you within 20 working days if we hold the information you have requested and can release it.
The Freedom of Information Act allows us, in exceptional cases, to extend the 20 working day response time where we are exempting information in accordance with a qualified exemption. This allows us to fully consider where the public interest lies.
If your requested information falls within categories specified in the Act, such as personal data about individual employees, we may withhold it.
Making a complaint
If you are unhappy with our response to a request you have made under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) or Environmental Information Regulations (EIR), you have the right to request an internal review of the decision.
An independent Ordnance Survey official (the Internal Review Officer), who has not been involved with your request, will be asked to undertake an internal review of the process to determine whether this has been followed in line with the FOIA or EIR.
You may request an internal review within two months of receipt of our final response to your FOI request or within 40 working days of receipt of our final response to your EIR request.
The Internal Review Officer will inform you of the outcome of the internal review, normally within 20 working days, but exceptionally within 40 working days, in line with the Information Commissioner’s guidance. The Internal Review Officer will either uphold the original decision, provide an additional explanation of the exemption/exception applied, or release further information if it is considered appropriate to do so.
Please quote your original reference on all correspondence.
Please contact us via our FoI form below if you have a complaint. You can also post your request to us.
Appeal to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)
If, following the outcome of the internal review you remain dissatisfied, you may raise an appeal with the Information Commissioner’s Office on our response to the request you made under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) or Environmental Information Regulations (EIR).
You can find further information on the ICO website, or you may wish to call their helpline on 0303 123 113.
When to use this form
Before making a request for information make sure you view our range of resources on our website first:
- Property boundary maps, including what to do if you have a question about boundaries on a HM Land Registry title deed
- Planning applications and how to get a large-scale planning application map
- Reporting a mapping error whether on the OS Maps app or your home address
- Press releases and media requests including media toolkit and licence
- Data products
- Filter our licences to find out which you need.
Where the information is not available on our website, routine enquiries can be dealt with quicker by visiting our Contact us page.