You can find everything you need to know about what we do below.
If you can’t find the information you need in our publication scheme, or elsewhere on the website, then you can make a request for information in line with Freedom of Information Act 2000, or Environmental Information Regulation 2004.
Who we are and what we do
- About Ordnance Survey – Find out more about what we do, who we are, our history, careers and stay up to date with our latest news.
- Organisational structure chart (PDF) - Also see our annual report and accounts which details our business model.
- Roles, responsibilities and articles of association – Find all the information you need about our company status, responsibilities and how we work, including our Public Task.
- Shareholder Framework (PDF) sets out our role and objectives, and outlines the governance and accountability framework between us and our shareholder.
- Companies House – Filing history for Ordnance Survey Ltd can be found at Companies House.
- Our Directors – Find out more about our decision-makers.
- Our boards, committees and governance groups.
- Travel directions to our head office.
- Get in touch with us
- Gender Pay Gap Reports
What we spend and how
- Annual reports and accounts – Download our latest annual report and accounts. They include information on budgets, loans, capital programme and our financial statements.
- Corporate expenditure – We publish details of expenditure over £25,000, including costs, supplier and transaction information for the current year, by month and the past three years.
We are no longer required to publish details of expenditure for items over £500
- Allowances and expenses – Expenses for all OS staff for the current year and last three years are available. This covers accommodation, travel and subsistence.
- Pay and grading structures – We reward employees competitively based on their contributions to the overall success of the organisation. Our pay and performance philosophy is underpinned by the following principles:
- External market
- Internal relativity
- Individual performance
More information, including our Directors pay, the 'pay multiple, and our pay and awards features in our annual reports and accounts.
- Procurement – Find out details on:
- Procurement Contracts over £25,000
- Current opportunities
- Guide for suppliers
- Purchase orders Terms
- Supplier code of conduct
- Key suppliers
Our priorities and how we are doing
We report annually to Parliament via our annual reports. These include further information on our priorities and performance, including our annual financial statement.
Download our latest annual report and accounts.
How we make decisions
Our Board of Directors is the main decision-making board for Ordnance Survey.
Our policies and procedures
- Our policies – See our policies on data protection, the environment, re-using public sector information and others.
- Recruiting and employing staff – Where will OS take your career? Find out about current vacancies and the recruitment process.
- Life at OS - Benefit from an OS career. You can read our latest Gender Pay Gap report
- Diversity and inclusion - See what diversity and inclusion means to OS
- Making a complaint – See our complaints procedure, including complaints under the Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations.
- Data protection and Subject Access Requests – How we handle your personal information (find out via a Subject Access Request) and our compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Charging for requests of information – We may charge for requests for information under the Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations.
- Licensing – Discover what you can do with OS licensing.
Lists and registers
- Disclosure log – View responses to requests made under the Freedom of Information Act and Environment Information Regulation for the current year and the last three years.
- Gifts and hospitality – Download monthly information showing gifts and hospitality returns.
- Register of interests - view details of declarations of interest.
- Place of deposit:
Ordnance Survey works with The National Archives (TNA) to ensure the appropriate deposit of documents and records with the relevant national archives, under the terms of the Public Records Act 1958 as amended by the Public Records Act 1967 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
We are also accredited by TNA as a designated distributed 'Place of Deposit' for annual digital copies of the National Geographical Database.
We also deposit copies of all of our published paper maps with the Legal Deposit Libraries under the terms of the Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003 and deposit copies of published digital map data with the Legal Deposit Libraries under the Legal Deposit Libraries (Non-Print Works) Regulations 2013.
Contact information for the Legal Deposit Libraries and information about access to historic mapping can be obtained on our historical map archives page.
We have CCTV at our Adanac Park site for the prevention and detection of crime.
The services we offer
See more about some of the services we offer by visiting the following pages on our website:-
- Leisure - paper maps, OS Maps and more.
- Business and Government - learn how you can benefit form the power of location data.
- OS OpenData Support - Find out how to get started using OS OpenData, which provides free digital maps of Great Britain, available for any purpose
- Ordnance Survey Data Hub - Benefit from the power of location by incorporating Great Britain's most comprehensive geographic data into your applications. Sign up for for access to APIs and get free OS OpenData downloads.
- Data Exploration Licence - Sign up and explore and use OS premium data to develop your ideas for free before deciding if the paid-for service is for you.
- Education resources to help teach and meet the national geography curriculum.
- OS Shop - purchase maps and outdoor gear.
- Media centre - get the latest news, view our media tool kit and find out how to apply for a media licence.
In August 2021 Ordnance Survey achieved ISO14001:2015 certification for our Environmental Management System. This was awarded by BSI under certificate number EMS 741488.
In line with the Environmental and Sustainability policy and Greening Government Commitments, Ordnance Survey will disclose its environmental and sustainability performance on this website via the following
- Annual reports – Provides sustainability information (see ‘Sustainability’ within the report). This covers the following:
- Greenhouse gas emissions
- Business travel (fleet, air and rail, flights etc)
- Water and paper consumption
- Sustainable procurement
- Sustainability initiatives
- Anti-slavery policy
- Future looking
- Environmental and Sustainability policy
- You can make a request for specific environmental information, as permissible under the Environmental Information Regulations 2004.